VMware Communities
Dienxk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Xp Installation, Weird Screen bug.

Hi, I have having some problems installing an company named NEC,
WindowsXP Home Edition into the VMware Worktstation.

my host computer's specs :[/u]

I have a 32bit 3ghz Intel Processor,

512MB of ram,

128MB Video card,

Windows XP Home Edition.

Guest OS im trying to run,[/u]

Windows XP Home edition,(installation from the disc which i got from the NEC company)

256MB RAM,

8MB, (Kinda small Smiley Sad i don't know how to increase it lol)

Is there any other way which will work? 😞

Click to enlarge picture[/b]

<a href="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Dienxk/Final.jpg">!http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Dienxk/Final.jpg|alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket|src=http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Dienxk/Final.jpg|border=0!</a>

Click to enlarge picture[/b]

[b]Note :[/b][/u]How do i increase graphics card's size? :P,

The Setup says OEMSetup V4.21 at the bottom,

It works ok when i use it for the real computer.

­­

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Typically, OEM install CDs and OS recovery CDs are designed to place an operating system onto a PC with the factory configuration and defaults specific to that vendor. A VMware virtual machine provides a complete virtual PC for the operating system running in it. The vendor-specific hardware and BIOS components expected by the OEM software are not present inside the virtual machine, and the installation or restore cannot continue. This is also true for physical PCs. If you attempt to use one manufacturer's OEM install or OS recovery CD on a physical PC from different vendor, sometimes even just a different model by the same manufacturer, it will refuse to install. The best way to work around this problem is to install your Guest operating system with a full Microsoft install CD, rather than using an OEM install or recovery CD.

Post the .vmx file from this virtual machine

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Typically, OEM install CDs and OS recovery CDs are designed to place an operating system onto a PC with the factory configuration and defaults specific to that vendor. A VMware virtual machine provides a complete virtual PC for the operating system running in it. The vendor-specific hardware and BIOS components expected by the OEM software are not present inside the virtual machine, and the installation or restore cannot continue. This is also true for physical PCs. If you attempt to use one manufacturer's OEM install or OS recovery CD on a physical PC from different vendor, sometimes even just a different model by the same manufacturer, it will refuse to install. The best way to work around this problem is to install your Guest operating system with a full Microsoft install CD, rather than using an OEM install or recovery CD.

Post the .vmx file from this virtual machine

0 Kudos
Dienxk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Kevin, now i know why :smileygrin:,

[b]the vmx file[/b][/u]

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

memsize = "256"

MemAllowAutoScaleDown = "FALSE"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "Windows XP Home Edition.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "D:"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.virtualDev = "es1371"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

displayName = "Windows XP Home Edition"

guestOS = "winxphome"

nvram = "Windows XP Home Edition.nvram"

ide0:0.redo = ""

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

uuid.location = "56 4d 11 f7 3a df e5 06-4c b9 eb ba 72 e8 95 aa"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 11 f7 3a df e5 06-4c b9 eb ba 72 e8 95 aa"

ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:e8:95:aa"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

annotation = "ffs"

workingDir = "."

Message was edited by:

Dienxk

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Dienxk,

Your virtual machine .vmx file looks fine. It is most likely the OEM CD that is causing the issue. Please let me know if you should have an issue when using a MS CD

0 Kudos
Dienxk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Kevin , Do you know where i can get a Windows Xp Trial? ^^.

Window's shows me junk links when i tries to use the search engine the website gave >_>

0 Kudos
chrispitude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trial? I would think Windows is a known quantity by now. You either need it or you don't. Try looking on Ebay for Windows XP installation CDs with key label.

- Chris

0 Kudos