VMware Communities
ToshiGoto
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP & Vista as a guest OS crash on WorkStation 10. Can't work correctly!

Yesterday, I downloaded VMwareWorkstation10.0.1(evaluation), and installed WindowsXPhome and VistaEnterprize as a guest OS on my VM. Installation itself was OK, but the UIs have been crashed everytime when I start the guest machines...I tried Win7 and Win2008server on the same environment, but they're working without problem.

Are there anybody who experieced the issues above? Any comments appreciated!

Sorry in advance if the problems as a known issue(Please let me the URL)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

This is not so well known problem,

so I suggest you to disable devices of Guest OS one by one,

and then check.

Hope will help.

Yours, Oscar

0 Kudos
sunyj
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi buddy,

Would you please check the disk type of your XP or Vista machine ? Is it SATA ,SCSI or IDE ?

As far as I know, SATA is not supported by a Windows XP machine, additional driver is required to be installed manually.

Could you please attach your vmware.log, UI log and your core dump file ( the location should be recorded in vmware UI log )?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
sunyj
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I remember there is an checkbox in VM Settings->Dislpay panel named "enable 3D support" ( or something like that). You can disable it and try to start guest again.

0 Kudos
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ToshiGoto,
Thanks for your trying Workstation 10.0.1. We are really sorry you ran into this issue!

Could you please follow the below steps to collect logs for further investigation?

1. Try to install the failed guest OS again.

2. If it still fails and crashes, open the installation folder of Workstation, for example, the default folder is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation".

3. Run the "vm-support.vbs", it will create a zip log file.

4. Please upload the log and we will get back to you asap.

Thanks!

Xinda

0 Kudos
JDBinshadows
Contributor
Contributor

I've been experiencing the same issue on my Windows 7 Machine running 10.0.4 - build 2248810 VMWare with Guest OS Windows Vista Ult SP2.

I have uploaded the vm-support zip files here.

0 Kudos