VMware Communities
TaoeDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows XP VM in WorkStation running on Windows 2012r2 VM on ESXi can't ping gateway

For a number of reasons (please don't ask) I need to run a Windows XP VM on Workstation 17 Pro running on Windows 2012r2 on ESXi 6.5.

After enabling vhv in the 2012r2's ESXi .vmx file, Win XP boots in Workstation fine. I have the network set to bridging mode, and when I run ipconfig /all it seems that the network's DHCP has allocated it the right values for the gateway & DNS. I have checked that the IP allocated is unique to the network, and it is.

BUT I cannot access anything on the network from the WinXP VM apart from the host 2012r2; I can ping its own IP, and the IP of the 2012r2 host, I can even mount SMB/CIFS shares of the 2012r2 host, but I cannot ping the DNS or gateway.

I've tried disabling the firewall on both the WinXP and 2012r2 machines, but to no avail.

I must admit I know little about networks, but this seems like a very odd phenomenon to me. And very annoying as I'm trying to reach another machine on the network.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michelkeus2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sounds like an issue with your vSwitch settings. Nested virtualization requires that the vSwitch your WS2012 VM is on to have Forged Transmits and Promiscuous mode allowed for it to work.

Please check your vSwitch settings.

Hope this resolves your issue.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
michelkeus2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sounds like an issue with your vSwitch settings. Nested virtualization requires that the vSwitch your WS2012 VM is on to have Forged Transmits and Promiscuous mode allowed for it to work.

Please check your vSwitch settings.

Hope this resolves your issue.

TaoeDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yup, that worked. Thanks!

0 Kudos