VMware Communities
jimbo45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows XP PRO RDP connection - Enable Concurrent sessions (LEGALLY)

Hi all

One of the really annoying problems in Windows XP PRO when accessing it via RDP (either as a VM or a Real machine) is that it only allows 1 concurrent user --in other words if you are actually logged on to Remote windows machine and you try and connect with RDP you get logged off the remote machine.

A little bit of searching around shows that Microsoft actually permitted multipls connections (up to 4 I think) in an earlier release of Windows XP SP2 (Build BETA 2055). Microsoft then later removed this facility in the final release of SP2.

By replacing the terminal services with the version from that build it works.

More info Here

http://sala.pri.ee/?page_id=11.

BTW from Linux to Windows use the krdc program

enter for example rdp:/192.168.X.X (assuming a HOME type network)

For Linux to Linux start the vnc server on the remote machine vis ssh or whatever

then enter in the krdc window vnc:/192.168.X.X:Y where Y is the number of the display your VNC server started.

Cheers

-J

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

I would not recommend that solution. It has some serious limitations and nobody will know for sure if it does not break something else. To much of a headache. If you need multiple sessions, use Windows Server 2003.

0 Kudos
jimbo45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there.

The trouble with using Windows Server 2003 is when you try and install / run something like Office XP it will complain about client licenses or you are trying to install the product on a Sever.

You need the "server" installation version of the software.

You can of course connect multiple sessions but without a Server license for some of the software you are trying to use Windows 2003 server is a bit of a waste of time.

My method works fine. The terminal program is a stand alone program just for terminal services so you won't break anything else. It's not used in normal Windows operation.

Cheers

-J

0 Kudos