VMware Communities
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Vista RC2 (build 5744) Released

Has anyone tried to install/upgrade to Vista RC2 yet?

BTW - It's available from Microsoft here: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc2/en/download.htm

0 Kudos
47 Replies
DraconPern
Contributor
Contributor

Daemontool solution worked for me.

0 Kudos
franki46
Contributor
Contributor

I bought VM5.5 today and tried to install it on my vista RC2. It just stopped. Is there already a solution for this problem ?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I bought VM5.5 today and tried to install it on my

vista RC2. It just stopped. Is there already a

solution for this problem ?

You may want to investigate this thread http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=40474&tstart=15 which discusses Vista as host, instead of as guest which THIS thread discusses.

0 Kudos
bigtrev3
Contributor
Contributor

I have managed to get past all the other gotchas (CD, WinPE at 640x480) and have even made the AMD PCNet driver work without having to tell lies. However the PCNET driver only seems to work if you leave it at DHCP settings. If you try to give IPv4 a static address or apply different DNS settings then all sorts of funny errors start to pop up (Duplicate IP detected)

I wanted to do this so that I could join a domain ...

BTW if you use BDD 2007 to install Vista RC2 it is possible to create a WinPE 2.0 ISO image that has the vmware tools drivers in it. Vista install then has what appears to be the correct video and network drivers installed. Still get the CD problem but if you uninstall the CD/DVD, point it to the real DVD and the re-scan the hardware it will start working again.

0 Kudos
telfred
Expert
Expert

VM Server is free and worked without this trouble with Vista RC1, maybe Vista RC2 would also work.

PS You'd need another host to install it on as it won't install alongside VM Workstation.

0 Kudos
SmartBuilder
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a slightly different problem with my install. I'm using WinXP for the host and trying to setup a Vista Guest. During the installation it goes through as if it is working but after the first reboot, it displays the pretty little progress image with the Microsoft Copywrite info and just when it looks like it is going to load the GUI, it reboots and starts over with the installation. Does anyone have an idea about this? I attempted to add the second CD Drive with an ISO of Vista but there was no change in this behavior.

0 Kudos
asaymirus
Contributor
Contributor

I have started downloading Vista RC2 Biuld 5744 and 91.1 % is completed and its not downloading anymore. now its being more than a week that i have started..........please help me............ in downloading vista

0 Kudos
IchabodV
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know(and/or understand) If this has already been said, but I'm at the "Select the Driver to be Installed." screen, should I do the mount a second ISO thing again? Or what? I don't understand VM [i]at all[/i][/u]

Message was edited by:

IchabodV

0 Kudos