Sven_Vollmann
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Vista Business 64 Bit and WS6

Hello,

i have WS6 (Build 45731) installed on a Windows Vista Business 64Bit host.

After the required reboot of the machine i checked the eventlog and see that there are errors of the vmauthd process (eventid 100).

The error message is "Malformed perfmon object, index 0", where index counts from 0 to 5 and then it begins by 0 again.

I have tried the suggested solution of this topic "http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=3063" but it does not solve the problem cause my performance counters are all enabled.

Have anyone a idea of what i can do to solve the problem ?

Thanks.

Sven

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SteDon81
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I also have the same problem, but wih Windows Vista Business 32Bit Host OS.

My performance counters PerfProc and PerfOS seem to be enabled, too.

Any solutions?

Thanx,

Stefan D.

0 Kudos
ranish
Contributor
Contributor

The same problem on Vista Home Premium 64 bit, same WS6 build

0 Kudos
SteDon81
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

just wantedt to keep this topic alife, because it is still annoying me. My syslog is de facto unusable with all these messages.

How can we make them vanish?

Regards,

Stefan D.

0 Kudos
SteDon81
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've recently posted this in another thread, too: http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=84346

to evade this annoying error, today I uninstalled VMWare. After having a better oversight over my Application log again, I noticed, that also MS SQLServer logs some errors with performance indicators that cannot be found.

Unfortunately, I do not have the install CD of VMWare at hand and I can only reinstall today evening. But in the meantime I report here what I discovered and tried, such that perhaps others can try if this solves the "malformed perfmon" problem:

1) I discovered, that the service for Performance Indicators (don't know the name in english, in german it's "Leistungsprotokolle und -warnungen") was not running. So I started it manually.

2) Once started, this service reported errors in Application log, that it cannot find any string tables for the performance indicators (event id 3006).

3) Unbelievable, but true: A click on help brought me to the hint of Microsoft to rebuild the string tables.

4) Type in a command prompt (the shell has to be started with elevated rights!) "Lodctr /r" (see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&Pro...

5) After a restart, the service for performance indicators was running without errors in the log and also the MS SQLServer didn't log these errors anymore.

Now it woult be interesting, if this also could cure the problem with VMWare Workstation.

Regards,

Stefan D.

0 Kudos
SteDon81
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

as already described in another post, too, I think I got the solution to this problem (at least for me I could eliminate the errors):

I won't count on it, but I suppose that the major tasks to solve the problem are:

1) Start the "Performance Indicator" service (e.g. by setting its starting type to Automatic)

2) rebuild the perfmon database (as described in my previous post)

I hope this helps other people as well!

Regards,

Stefan D.

P.S.: This, by the way, seems to mean that not the guys of VMWare made any mistake but that the source of the problem (again) lies at Microsoft...

0 Kudos