VMware Communities
NSahr
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Updates - Automatic shut down issue

Hello everyone,

we are using VMware Workstation on a Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2019 host system to run one virtual machine. In this VM we host a webserver which shows PLC data gathered via an OPC Server. The systems runs 24/7.

This system has typically two network adapters. One is connected to the PLC network. The other one is connected to the customer network and has therefore internet access. Thus Windows updates are done automatically after a certain time. Due to this updates the system is also restarted automatically but the VM is not shut down properly.

I already searched on different forums for different solutions and found a possibility to implement a script during the update procedure where I should be able to suspend the VM. So far this did not work for me.

Has anyone maybe a different solution / workaround for this issue or experiences in general?

Regards,

Nico

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately, nothing really built into the product any longer (shared VMs are deprecated in version 16).  However, one forum user has written a very good utility for such scenario.  You may want to check out his work - https://vimarun.com/ 

0 Kudos
NSahr
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the fast response!

This tool looks definitly like a possible solution. But of course this comes with further license costs.

Are there any other possibilities where we just implement somewhere a .bat file for supending the VM?

0 Kudos