VMware Communities
headgeek
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Stop 0x0000007f (0x0000000d,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I just installed the trial version of Workstation 6.0 and I tried to install a Windows XP virtual machine. The text portion of the install went fine but when it tried to reboot into the GUI portion, I got the above stop code. I searched but couldn't find anything which seemed to be applicable.

The host machine is a Windows 2003 Server on an Athlon 1.1 GHz processor.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
stellaonly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First match in google for "0x0000007f"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539

run a memory-test

0 Kudos
headgeek
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I found that one too but you will notice that the article only refers to sub codes 0,4,5,6 and 8. It does not cover D, which is what I am getting. Just to be complete however I did run Microsofts standalone memory tester both on the physical machine and the virtual machine and both came back clean.

To be complete, I did find one article which mached all of the codes but it was using VMWare Converter. It did reference other virtual devices such as Daemon tools as being a possible problem. To be safe I removed Daemon tools and an old copy of Virtual PC. I rebooted and still have the problem.

Still looking for answers. Thanks.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Post the .vmx file from this virtual machine

0 Kudos
headgeek
Contributor
Contributor

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "6"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

memsize = "224"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "Windows XP Professional.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "C:\Temp\WXP Integrated SP2.iso"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

floppy0.autodetect = "FALSE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

svga.autodetect = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

mks.keyboardFilter = "allow"

displayName = "Windows XP Professional"

guestOS = "winxppro"

nvram = "Windows XP Professional.nvram"

deploymentPlatform = "windows"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "TRUE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

uuid.location = "56 4d bd 97 9d 21 7b 1f-77 1b 77 b7 ee 09 a4 24"

uuid.bios = "56 4d bd 97 9d 21 7b 1f-77 1b 77 b7 ee 09 a4 24"

ide0:0.redo = ""

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "33"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:09:a4:24"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

Thanks for looking

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

The .vmx file from the VM looks fine.

Was this a OEM version of Windows XP that come bundled with a computer you purchased or is this a standard retail version of Windows XP?

0 Kudos
headgeek
Contributor
Contributor

Neiter -- it is a Volume License version. The CD has worked multiple times and works fine with VMWare Workstation 5.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You may want to try creating another Windows XP VM, this time remove/leave out the sound adapter and USB controller from the virtual machine configuration

0 Kudos
headgeek
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, no change. I deleted everything and then recreated a WXP Virtual machine. I deleted the USB and sound adapter and then booted from the CD. Same result Stop x'7F'.

Given no one else is having this, there must be something in my hardware setup that is causing a problem but I sure can't figure out what it is. Everything else on my machine is fine.

0 Kudos
Lao_Si
Contributor
Contributor

I coud duplicate it in my PC which is the nearly the same as yours (CPU=Athlon 1.2G).

The VM (either XP or W2k3) runs fine under VM5, same error under VM6. Uninstall VM6 and back to VM5, same guest machines runs fine again.

And I also tried to create a brand new guest machines under VM6, during the installation of guest WinXP, the same error message.

I am not sure if VM6 can work properly for old AMD Athlon system or not.

0 Kudos
headgeek
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the verifcation. Looks like there is a bug in VMWare WS 6.

0 Kudos
Lao_Si
Contributor
Contributor

sorry for up!

0 Kudos
Denis_Bee
Contributor
Contributor

i have the same problem

Athlon 1000 + VMWare WS6 = BSOD during installation Windows XP SP2 VL

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Penguin64
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here only different. Smiley Wink

I just got the BSOD with STOP 7F with first parameter as "D" just now. I have an INTEL P4 3.4GHz running WinXP SP2. I have VMWare Server 1.0.3 installed but it was not running at the time.

I was over-clocking my system by 5%. Since I have received this BSOD, I've cut it back to 0%.

Hopefully this information will help with the troubleshooting. I'll post again if it happens again.

0 Kudos
baggins2000
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem but with a slightly different error code

0x0000007f (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Unfortunately don't have a 5.5 license.

0 Kudos
lowki
Contributor
Contributor

I too have the same issue on my Athlon 1.2GHz processor running windows 2003 server.

Is anyone from vmware going to look into this issue?

Cheers

0 Kudos
wishtojoin
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem - STOP 0x0000007F (0x0000000D,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000) just after boot of Vista installation CD (ISO image) on VMWare 6.

VMWare 5.5 works fine on the same PC

Not sure if it's related but I noticed the same error on this thread for VMware Converter (http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=605525). It mentions virtual hardware for CD/DVD drives and when that (DaemonTools) was removed the problem was fixed. I definitely have some virtual drive on here as I've got a shared DVD drive in Windows Explorer and the PC just doesn't have any CD/DVD's attached. I use PowereISO and MagicISO but they're not loaded or mounting drives at the mo - I think it's Noteburner that's put the virtual drive there

HOST OS: Windows XP professional

RAM : 1GB

MB : ASUS A7V-133

CPU : ATHLON 1.2GHz

IDE : 3 hard drives. Host OS is on C, installation ISO image for Vista, XP, UBUNTU etc is on D, VMWARe target virtual disk is on

No CD , DVD or floppy

Cards: AGP graphics, wireless NIC, sound, Wired NIC

Tried disabling sound and USB in VMware VM but same problem

Other problems

A guest OS install of...

\- Puppy linux hangs in VMWare during installation, after "starting kernel"

\- Windows XP gives the same error (the STOP 000000F7 with 0D in VMWare)

\- Ubuntu 7.04 just shows a black screen in VMWare after choosing to install it just after the installation menu you get on after booting

The only OS I installed sucessfully was Win98!

I've gone back to VMware 5.5 and Vista is installing just fine now

0 Kudos
rudolf
Contributor
Contributor

Just FYI, Im having the exact same problem since WS6. I'm running an old AMD Duron on a Linux host. My Windoze boxes with XP and W2k give a reproducible BSOD as does an attempt to do a fresh XP install. About 2 weeks ago I filed an official bug report to VMware. Let me put it this way: the Support Engineer who is assigned to my bug report really tries to do his best, asking me to send in my config file, to run without virtual floppy, to check different miscellaneous settings, you name it... but: no success so far. My question for a real debugging possibility was not really answered and in the meantime I'm not so confident that VMware is really capable or even willing to find a solution here. Perhaps it's just not that important for them if only a very few customers do have this problem:-(

I see there is a message in the log file like this when the BSOD occurs:

vcpu-0| X86Fault_Warning: vmcore/vmm32/bt/btpriv.c:1444: cs:eip=0x8:0x8096435e fault=13

But nobody could tell me so far if the BSOD and this message are really correlated.

0 Kudos
rudolf
Contributor
Contributor

Again just FYI: in WS6.0.2 they have obviously fixed the problem which had exactly to do with my AMD Duron: no Stop 0x0000007f with BSOD any more!

0 Kudos
JDidwedw
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem with Windows XP (SP3) running on VMware workstation version 6.5.5-328052.

I have fixed the Bluescreens with the following change:

I have set the Execution Mode (Preferred mode) for the Processors (Virtual Machine Settings) to "Binary translation".

("Disable acceleration for binary translation" is still not selected.)

After this change I have never had the Bluescreen with "Windows Stop 0x0000007f (0x0000000d,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)" again.

0 Kudos