VMware Communities
Clem42
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server Backup To Virtual Machine

Hello

I have 3 "Windows Server Backup" of 3 "Windows Server 2012R2 Standard". How can i convert them in virtual machine (Workstation or Infrastructure).

Sincerely,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Create a new virtual machine.  Boot it using recovery/restore media, connect the backup to it, and restore the backup to the new virtual disk.

Before booting the first time, use the Vmware Converter - step 2, reconfiguration - to configure/inject the appropriate VMware drivers the OS will need.

0 Kudos
Clem42
Contributor
Contributor

I try to boot from de Windows Server 2012R2 media disk. I go in "Troubleshoot" then to "System Image Recovery" and finally on "Windows Server 2012 R2".

I have the Following error message :

pastedImage_0.png
My external hard drive is however well connected to the virtual machine. If I go to the Advanced menu and try to install a driver, i see it with the "Windows Server Backup"...

0 Kudos
Clem42
Contributor
Contributor

I did another try.

I install a virtual machine with "Windows Server 2012 R2" by addind the functionnality "Windows Server Backup Features". I can select a Backup Date but after when i have to select the Recovery Type, and I choose the option "Volumes", I get the following message  :

when I have to select the type of catering and I choose the option "Volumes

pastedImage_0.png

So I added a new disk to my virtual machine and relaunch "Windows Server Backup". This time, I can select "Volume" option without message error, but I have to select "Destination Volume", i have only "D", the new virtual disk.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos