VMware Communities
soroshsabz
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2022 21H2 after trying to install 2022-07 KB5015827 CU get BSOD on VMware

ITNOA

I have Windows Server 2022 (21H2) on VMWare (16.1.2 build-17966106) on Host (Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, 64-bit (Build 19044.1826) 10.0.19044)

When Windows try to update and installing KB50145827 CU, after restarting Windows (In installing procedure) I got a BSOD with error: Unsupported Processor

220856-image

after I try to boost system in safe mode, Windows try to undoing the update and after restarting , work properly,

220875-image

But the problem is Windows try to update again, and all story occurred again 😞

I create a question in [Windows Server forum](Question, Windows Server 2022 21H2 after trying to install 2022-07 KB5015827 CU get BSOD on VMware, ...) too.

Tags (2)
28 Replies
AnotherVMUser1
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like this just happened to me on Workstation 16.3.4, but this time with Windows 10 as the guest OS (Windows 11 as the host OS)

Exactly the same error after it had just done the latest MS updates and it is currently automatically uninstalling and cleaning up after booting into repair mode briefly. Really hope it works as this is a fairly critical VM for me that I (stupidly) had not backed up for a little while and had never had issues with updates before.

Has anyone else had this happen with Windows 10 as the guest OS?

0 Kudos
mathewsonr
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me. I'm running VMware Workstation 15 Pro (15.5.7 build-17171714) with guest OS of Windows 10 version 1809.

Dropping my core count down to 1 allowed the VM to boot and I was able to uninstall the recent batch of updates and return my core count to 4.

0 Kudos
PeterGV
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.  I have now gotten this applying a pending update to Win11 and with Win10 22H2.

VERY frustrating, but I was "pleased" to see that at least I'm not the only one seeing this problem.

0 Kudos
AnotherVMUser1
Contributor
Contributor

I see that Workstation 17 has just been released. No mention of this issue in the release notes I can see, so is anyone able to say if it resolves it before I decide whether or not to upgrade?

0 Kudos
cneasonj
Contributor
Contributor

All my issues went away.  I tried with the latest versions of Windows 11, 10 and Server 2022.  So far so good...for now.  I hope future Windows upgrades don't cause the same problems.

0 Kudos
DLF_UK
Contributor
Contributor

Your issues went away how? Did you upgrade to 17?

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The upgrade to version 17 resolved this issue for me.

0 Kudos
cneasonj
Contributor
Contributor

I did upgrade to 17 and it fixed my issues.  When installing Windows Server 2022 or Window 11 it recognizes the ISO and suggests using easy install.

0 Kudos
MauricioRPP
Contributor
Contributor

confirmed that the "1 vcpu" workaround did not work on Workstation 16 on Windows 11 with a Windows 10 guest (using a new i7-12700 cpu here, tried even disabling the e-cores to no avail)

after upgrading to Workstation 17 Player, the update suceeded and everything is back to normal. 4 vCPUs and the VM is happy.

0 Kudos