VMware Communities
soroshsabz
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2022 21H2 after trying to install 2022-07 KB5015827 CU get BSOD on VMware

ITNOA

I have Windows Server 2022 (21H2) on VMWare (16.1.2 build-17966106) on Host (Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, 64-bit (Build 19044.1826) 10.0.19044)

When Windows try to update and installing KB50145827 CU, after restarting Windows (In installing procedure) I got a BSOD with error: Unsupported Processor

220856-image

after I try to boost system in safe mode, Windows try to undoing the update and after restarting , work properly,

220875-image

But the problem is Windows try to update again, and all story occurred again 😞

I create a question in [Windows Server forum](Question, Windows Server 2022 21H2 after trying to install 2022-07 KB5015827 CU get BSOD on VMware, ...) too.

Tags (2)
28 Replies
kjsdtts
Contributor
Contributor

Got exactly the same error! Praying there's a VMWkstn patch or something very soon

0 Kudos
soroshsabz
Contributor
Contributor

How to inform VMWare stuff about this bug?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Just FYI - Windows Server 2022 is not listed as a supported guest operating system for Workstation in VMware's compatibility lists, only ESXi.

Informing VMware staff about the "bug" would require you to open a support case with them. VMware employees sometimes can be seen in this forum, it's not part of their official duties - meaning that anything noted here is not guaranteed to be seen or addressed by VMware. 

That being said, maybe some of the more experienced users here might be able to offer some advice.

Thoughts I have: What hardware are you running Workstation on, and does its CPU meet Microsoft requirements for Windows Server 2022? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/hardware-requirements If you have a working Windows Server VM, have you tried running the Sysinternals Coreinfo utility to see what is says?

Also see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/84239, which implies that you should be setting your virtual machine operating system type to Windows Server 2019, or Windows Server 2016 or later. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Out of curiosity what is shown in the Windows Server 2022 Event Viewer for this action.

I've check the Microsoft Update Catalogue and can find no refer to KB50145827, are you able to provide more detail on this.

@soroshsabz wrote: 'When Windows try to update and installing KB50145827 CU . . .'

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have just installed a standalone 2022-07 KB5015827 onto a virtual Windows Server 2022 with absolutely no issues [VMware Workstation Pro].  Therefore I suspect that what @Technogeezer alluded to, to be the case, that either its a configuration issue, previous patch conflict or a hardware issue.

So as suggested, take a look at your Event Viewer.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That (KB5015827) is listed as a security update. 

I just tried to replicate the error.

1. Installed the 2022 server, with desktop (as a 2019 server). UEFI but no secure boot. 

2. Installed all updates(including the above). No errors

3. Installed VMware tools. So far so good.

My processor is a Xeon W- 2255 in Dell Precision workstation. My host is Linux Debian, WS is 16.2.3.

what is your processor model?

0 Kudos
swinnenl
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Same here with VMware Workstation 16.2.3-19376536 : after this upgrade, Windows server 2022 crashs with this error "Unsupported Processor". Current workaround is to decrease the number of CPU/cores to 1. After this modification, WS start correctly and, if needed, update could be removed.

My hardware : i7 1185G7 @3Ghz + 16 Gb RAM  (running Windows 11 Pro/21H2)

Hope this reply is helpful 😉

Louis.

kjsdtts
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Louis! Decreasing to a single CPU / single core worked like a charm, you're a lifesaver!
Then removed July CU KB5015827, upped the cores back to 2 and voila!

Hopefully support for 2022 catches up on VMW.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Interesting catch. Here it is working with 2 processors and 2 cores from the get go. No crash, even with update. 

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

0 Kudos
Matembissa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @swinnenl  this worked for me. 

0 Kudos
soroshsabz
Contributor
Contributor

Did any one test this bug with VMware Workstation 16.2.4 Pro Build 20089737?

0 Kudos
swinnenl
Contributor
Contributor

No update ... BSOD again (same error unsupported processor) if I increase the number of CPUs with the latest VMware workstation version.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just a heads up that this is something we're aware of and are working on.

Seems like a bug in the Windows Hypervisor Platform that we use (as the issue doesn't seem to persist when using our 'VMM', it only happens when we're using the WHP via our 'ULM', but we're trying to work around it.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
SituationPogo
Contributor
Contributor

Curious to know if there is an estimated timeline on a fix. We are running Windows Server 2022 in VMWare Workstation to perform application tests and the single core workaround is really bogging things down, and sometimes leading to crashes. Unfortunately we can't revert the Windows update that led to this.

0 Kudos
SamerAjlawi
Contributor
Contributor

Got the same issue.

only work around was decrease to 1 core, thanks

0 Kudos
cneasonj
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if it's an option for you but I run VMWare Workstation in Ubuntu and don't have the issue.   It's a duel boot system and when I boot into Windows 11 I have the issue but in Ubuntu I don't.

0 Kudos
puetzk
Contributor
Contributor

Using an ubuntu host is probably more like using a windows host with `bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off` - you are using VMware's own VMM, rather than the ULM that interfaces with Microsoft's windows hypervisor platform. But then one can't run other things like docker, Device/Crendential Guard, etc that also use HyperV alongside of VMware anymore...

0 Kudos
puetzk
Contributor
Contributor

Hopefully this all stuff @Mikero has already found, but just in case not: I found https://twitter.com/XenoPanther/status/1561366066877562885, which referenced https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_11_build_25179#Boot_environment. Which seems like it might have some relevant clues about what changed; the timing is right, and the description feels like the sort of things VMware's ULM might be invovled in...

0 Kudos