VMware Communities
PLujan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 VMware tools installation - "device installation was prevented by policy"

P2V'ed a Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 server using the standalone converter. Converted okay, can fire the machine up in Workstation 10, log in with the administrator ID, but no mouse or network adapter. Multiple web searches yield up possible solutions for this - change the local security policy to everyone, disable Ctrl-M services - these have not worked with me. After repeated uninstalling, re-installing VMware tools (manually via keyboard navigation to the updater in the host OS by mapping it in shared folders), now when the machine boots up I see in the system try "device installation was prevented by policy." Not seeing anything specifically related to that, with that verbiage, in the Windows Event application and security logs. Also, the physical machine has been demised, is no longer available unfortunately, but I believe this is just config and can be corrected.

Any help appreciated in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PLujan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1. Change Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Device Installation, Device Installation Restrictions to 'Not Configured.'
  2. Remove all unknown USB devices in Device Manager then do a Scan for Hardware Changes.

Both of the above were done manually via keyboard navigation, but the hardware changes scan got me my mouse back and let me fire VMware tools installation.

Woot!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lsoto1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Plujan,

Only as suggestion:

- Make a backup of the VM

- make an snapshot

- Delete almost all of the hidden devices (open a cmd as administrator, set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, devmgmt.msc, select "show hidden devices")

- I saw a tool called "USBDeview.exe" to delete usb drivers/entries

- Delete all the input devices

- Restart the VM

- Run a tool like CCleaner

I am not a Windows admin, but I saw a lot of weird behaviours on "special" hadware after a P2V

Good luck

Regards,

Luis

Luis Soto Campos ---------- La vida siempre da una segunda oportunidad. Solo hay que saberla esperar.
PLujan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1. Change Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Device Installation, Device Installation Restrictions to 'Not Configured.'
  2. Remove all unknown USB devices in Device Manager then do a Scan for Hardware Changes.

Both of the above were done manually via keyboard navigation, but the hardware changes scan got me my mouse back and let me fire VMware tools installation.

Woot!

0 Kudos