VMware Communities
erlend_oyen
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2008 64-bit - Vista 32-bit Host

Hello i am running a test lab on my laptop with 32 bit version of windows server 2008 running. An i am now trying to run the 64-bit version (to get exchange 2007 running) on top of the Vista 32-bit guest.

Windows Vista Enterprise 32-bit Version SP1RC

Lenovo Thinkpad T60 Modell: 2007-6RG

CPU: Intel Centrino Duo. T7200 2 Ghz

Memory: 3GB

VMware Workstation 6.0.2 Build-59824

I found this post

I have run the CPU compability testing tool and the result looks like this:

1514_1514.jpg

I have enabled Intel Virtualization Technology, but VMware Workstaion logs this message in the log:

You have configured this virtual machine to use a 64-bit guest operating system. However, this host's CPU is not capable of running 64-bit virtual machines or this virtual machine has 64-bit support disabled.

For more detailed information, see

I get this error message after the Windows is loading files is complete:

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think the problem here is that Vista is 32 bit.

but I am not sure...

maybe CPU try:

VMware distributes a free utility that can be used to determine whether

or not your CPU is suitable for running 64-bit guest operating systems.

You can download this utility from the VMware Web site at (scroll down to Processor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility)

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

I have a T60 (2007-42U) with a 1.86GHz T2400 CPU.

It has the VT extentions, but when I run the Processor Check for 64bit Compatability, it tells me that I cannot run 64bit guests.

Not sure if your processor supports 64bit guests, but you can find the tool here:

Message was edited by: Jasemccarty

After reading a little further... I see that you already have the tool, and that your system does support 64bit guests.

Your issue might be with Vista 32bit.

Jase McCarty

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
erlend_oyen
Contributor
Contributor

yes, if you look at my post i have used the tool with "good" results.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

You might also want to look at the Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology Test Utility

Located here:

Message was edited by: Jasemccarty

Nevermind that... I ran it, and it didn't really tell me anything about mine...

Jase McCarty

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

"Your BIOS probably does not enable VT on some or all of the cores. Download http://ftpsite.vmware.com/download/vt.iso , burn it to a CD, and boot the host from the CD. It will tell you whether or not your BIOS has enabled VT on each core."

0 Kudos
erlend_oyen
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved, thanks for the url to the VT check Cd, i had to do a complete poweroff off my laptop before the VT settings worked.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Oh yeah, machine must be cold started after BIOS VT settings change. Anyhow, it worked.

0 Kudos
msidik
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot access the link.error "server no found". tried the ftp site requires credential what credentials does it require ?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Cannot access the link.error "server no found". tried the ftp site requires credential what credentials does it require ?

What are you trying to download? The vt.iso that Peter_VM linked to? Try http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html.

0 Kudos