VMware Communities
Stebol
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2003 does not support the BusLogic SCSI

Have copied a vm from ESX 2.x to VMware Workstation and now when I start the guest on VMware Workstation I get the message: "Your guest operating system is Windows Server 2003 and you have one or more virtual SCSI devices installed in your virtual machine.

Please be aware that Windows Server 2003 does not support the BusLogic SCSI adapter that VMware Workstation currently uses for its virtual SCSI devices. If you have not done so already, you will need to install our driver in the virtual machine. You can download the driver from our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/info?id=43&sn=6050X%2dEYT29%2d23763%2d4R3J1".

Select OK to continue, or Cancel to abort."

The problem is that I can not figure out how to install the driver described above. Is there anyone out there who have done this before and can give me a step-by-step description?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Use Windows device manager just like you would install any other device driver.

Bus Logic driver can be found here on .flp file.

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/drivers_tools.html

Configure your virtual floppy drive to use the downloaded .flp file

0 Kudos
darknerd
Contributor
Contributor

Out of curiosity, what type of image do you use for the .flp image? I was wondering how I could create boot images for myself.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You can create your own .flp files using the WS product.

VM -> Settings - Floppy drive

0 Kudos
saxa
Expert
Expert

I don't know which format is used, but I do know how to create an image.

Start some VM having virtual floppy. Go to the VM's properties. Select floppy. On the right you'll see the option "Use floppy image" and a button "Create".

You'll create an image on the host. Now, from within the guest, just work with the (virtual) diskette as: usual format, copy files etc. All is saved in the image.

0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

If you have Linux, you don't even need WS to create floppy images.

' dd if=/dev/zero of=floppy-144.flp bs=1440k count=1 '

' mkdosfs -F 32 -v floppy-144.flp '

' mkdir /mnt/tmp '

' mount floppy-144.flp /mnt/tmp -oloop,noatime,rw '

' df '

--Now you can copy things to /mnt/tmp just as you would a 1.44 floppy. Don't forget to umount it when done.

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos
darknerd
Contributor
Contributor

I use a tool on Windows called WinImage. It is based on some older DOS program that made images (forgot the name, it was on the SimTel collection).

I have a bunch of images in this format. It'd be cool to put into VMWare compatible .flp image format.

Are they the same format? I can't imagine this format being anything other than rawwrite or dd.

Is there a way to have a blank .flp file and use one of these WinImage .img format and write to a .flp file?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, I believe WinImage's .ima images may simply be renamed to .flp and work fine.

Message was edited by:

RDPetruska

Corrected file extension.

0 Kudos
Stebol
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks KevinG but I have no problem to mount the image on my virtual floppy drive, the problem is to install the new driver. After I've mounted the floppy with the image file vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp to the floppy and then went trough the steps with the Device Manager, SCSI and RAID Controllers, Update Driver...I get a error message when I try to update with that driver. I can see the INF file on the floppy; named vmscsi.inf, when I browse the floppy but when I choose the file I get the message "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". I also have tested the other driver file on the web, vmscsi-1.2.0.2.flp, with the same result.

What else can I do? Is there perhaps another better driver file somewhere to use, or?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Post the .vmx file from your virtual machine

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Winimage uses 2 different formats - compressed and uncompressed.

If your file is 1.44 MB or 2.88 MB you can simply rename it to *.flp.

If they are compressed - use safe-as function in Winimage and use an uncompressed output-format.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>Winimage uses 2 different formats - compressed and uncompressed.

Right. I claimed their ".ima" format (uncompressed) will work. NOT their "imz" format (compressed).

0 Kudos
Stebol
Contributor
Contributor

KevinG, here is the vmx file:

config.version = "7"

virtualHW.version = "3"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "768"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "F:\VMCLIENTS\copy_of_bbnsqlc.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

displayName = "BBNSQL"

guestOS = "winNetStandard"

priority.grabbed = "normal"

priority.ungrabbed = "normal"

powerType.powerOff = "default"

powerType.powerOn = "default"

powerType.suspend = "default"

powerType.reset = "default"

uuid.location = "56 4d c1 98 3a 97 7f 38-11 03 a0 91 d3 18 dc 99"

uuid.bios = "56 4d c1 98 3a 97 7f 38-11 03 a0 91 d3 18 dc 99"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

0 Kudos
boogieshafer
Expert
Expert

doesnt look like you have a buslogic installed in your vm....if you really want to install the buslogic driver, you can add an additional scsi adapter by adding the following to your vmx

scsi1.present = "TRUE"

scsi1.virtualDev = "buslogic"

boot the guest up with both lsilogic and buslogic adapters, and you should be able to add the driver for the buslogic from the floppy image you have

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like the adapter type in the .vmdk is incorrect. No need to add a Bus Logic adapter to the .vmx file.

What type of virtual disk are you using? Single growable, pre-allocated..etc

Please post the list of files in the virtual machine directory and include the files sizes.

0 Kudos
Stebol
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the interest in this problem. I surly appreciate all replies from you guys.

Well KevinG you asked for the type of the disk...not anyone of those you mentioned anyway. I used vmfsktools when I exported the guest to my pc's disk, so it's a bunch of 2 GB files. What do you call such a disk?

Here is the listing you asked for:

copy_of_bbnsqlc.vmdk 594

copy_of_bbnsqlc-s001.vmdk 2 144 927 744

copy_of_bbnsqlc-s002.vmdk 1 998 651 392

copy_of_bbnsqlc-s003.vmdk 1 183 645 696

copy_of_bbnsqlc-s004.vmdk 2 146 762 752

copy_of_bbnsqlc-s005.vmdk 1 354 039 296

copy_of_bbnsqlc-s006.vmdk 856 424 448

All sizes in bytes.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

The file " copy_of_bbnsqlc.vmdk 594 " is just a text file and you will most likely find in this file that it contains the following line.

ddb.adapterType = "buslogic"

If so, change the line to the following with the VM powered off.

ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"

By the way, your virtual disk is a type 1 (Sparse) (Growable split into 2 GB files )

0 Kudos
Stebol
Contributor
Contributor

The file already have the line ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic". So what is the problem then? The initial message "...Windows Server 2003 does not support the BusLogic SCSI..." when I start the guest is it only some kind of reminder or does it indicate some kind of driver discrepancies in the settings?

Should I take any notice about this at all then when there is already a lsilogic adapter in the setting?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

What version of VMware Workstation are you using?

0 Kudos
Stebol
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using version 4.5.2, Build 8848

0 Kudos