VMware Communities
CaptJohn6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Media Center

I am trying to run Windows Media Center (Windows 7)  in VMware Workstation 12 with a HDHomeRun tuner.  I get an error "the graphics card or driver doesn't support content protection".  The host computer also Windows 7 has no problems.  Any way to correct this issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The virtual graphics adapter running inside the VM is VMware SVGA 3D; which does not have content protection/copy protection capabilities such as HDCP. Typically HDCP and other similar technology relies on the hardware graphics adapter and its driver.

So there would be no way to run HDHomeRun inside the VM if it is looking for copy protection feature that the VM virtual graphics adapter does not have.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The virtual graphics adapter running inside the VM is VMware SVGA 3D; which does not have content protection/copy protection capabilities such as HDCP. Typically HDCP and other similar technology relies on the hardware graphics adapter and its driver.

So there would be no way to run HDHomeRun inside the VM if it is looking for copy protection feature that the VM virtual graphics adapter does not have.

0 Kudos
CaptJohn6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can use VLC and stream from my HDHomeRun tuner with no issues so I would think that WMC could do the same.

0 Kudos
voidp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"I can use VLC and stream from my HDHomeRun tuner with no issues..."

Just to be clear, are you saying that you can do this in the guest OS?

0 Kudos
CaptJohn6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes you are correct it is the guest OS (Windows 7) that will stream VLC but not WMC or HDHomeRun viewer.  In addition I created a Windows 10 VM on the same host and also found VLC to work in addition to the Windows 10 HDHomeRun app.  If it was a copy protection issue then it would not work on any VM. 

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

AFAIK, Windows Media Center is not a supported Guest OS, due to WMC's hardware requirements of specific kinds of video cards.

0 Kudos