VMware Communities
srct
Contributor
Contributor

Windows IP address Conflict

I am running VMWare Workstation 6.0.3 on a Windows Vista Business system. ONLY when I am running a VM that is a Server 2008 64bit core or normal (haven't done 32 at all) on a bridged network, I get an error "Windows has detected an IP address conflict". It doesn't matter if it's DHCP or static. On host only or NAT it works fine. I only get this on a bridged network with Server 2008. My XP VMs work fine.

Anyone have any idea how I can resolve this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

The obvious question: what's the IP addr of the 2008 machine and is there actually another machine (physical or virtual) with the same IP?

Host-only and NAT both put your VM in an network isolated from the physical network, versus bridged networking where your VM is attached to the physical network. So the duplicate IP warning not appearing with host-only or NAT is expected behavior.

0 Kudos
srct
Contributor
Contributor

This is happening with all my 2008 servers. Either on DHCP or a statically assigned address and no, the (static) addresses are not in use. DHCP should be independent anyway, a new request for an IP.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

This is happening with all my 2008 servers.

You have multiple virtual 2008 servers? Were they cloned? Were they converted from a physical machine(s)? You have them all on at the same time or just one VM on at a time?

Either on DHCP or a statically assigned address and no, the (static) addresses are not in use. DHCP should be independent anyway, a new request for an IP.

I can't tell you how many times I or my coworkers have wasted hours of overtime because "it's not supposed to do that." Smiley Wink

So when on DHCP, have you released/renewed? If these VMs are copies then they may have the same MAC addr which means DHCP issues the same IP addr. Do you have any machines that are not giving a duplicate IP error? From one of those machines, can you still PING the duplicate IP even with the 2008 machines off?

0 Kudos
srct
Contributor
Contributor

You have multiple virtual 2008 servers? Were they cloned? Were they converted from a physical machine(s)? You have them all on at the same time or just one VM on at a time?

No, they were setup independently, the were setup as Virtual Machines, and only one is on at a time.

So when on DHCP, have you released/renewed? If these VMs are copies then they may have the same MAC addr which means DHCP issues the same IP addr. Do you have any machines that are not giving a duplicate IP error? From one of those machines, can you still PING the duplicate IP even with the 2008 machines off?

Yes I have released/renewed. The VMs are not copies. My non 2008 machines work fine. I can NOT ping the IP when the machines are shut off.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

A thought that just popped in my head regarding PING: firewall. A

while ago, I had to troubleshoot a similar dup IP problem and found a

machine with a software firewall, so PING was blocked. Finding this

machine took the better part of an hour because it was one that none of

the staff knew about. If you don't have that many machines, it may be

worthwhile to visually confirm the IP of the other machines.

Otherwise, you say that this happens on all of your 2008 machines

even on static. Are you using the same IP that you would have gotten

on DHCP? You've tried multiple static IPs per machine? Tried IPs that

are completely outsde your DHCP range (e.g.: .253.)

If these machines were built independantly of each other, then

I'll say what I posted elsewhere. Check carefully all the steps you're

doing along the way to make sure that you're not making the same

assumptions or mistakes. My former boos like to say "think stoopid"

meaning don't assume the cable or your CD is good just becase it was

working yesterday. Try a different cable or CD. (As you can tell, I'm

running out of ideas. I've built 2008 VMs and haven't had a issue like

this.)

0 Kudos
srct
Contributor
Contributor

No the firewall does not ping, and you wouldn't expect it to. Even when you do an IPCONFIG it won't display the IP when it's duplicate. No software firewall is blocking it because my other VMs work fine, this is ONLY the 2008 machines.

All of the static IPs I tried are outside of my IP range.

I haven't had this problem with 2008 VMs I've built on VMWare Server, this I've only seen on Workstation. It's behaving as if it were a bug. I'm hoping someone else has seen this.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

IF your absolutely certain 100% without doubt that this IP does not exist, (Are you sure that there's been no Windows update or registry restore that has reenabled the Windows firewall?) Which is why I say if a software firewall was inadvertently reenabled, then a a PING test would be insufficient. Thus, going to each machine and checking it's IP at it's console.

If as you say, you've built 2008 VMs on Server that worked, then copy this non-working VM to Server. (Downgrade the virtual hardware first, if necessary.) If it works on Server, then you can suspect something with WS or the configuration of the WS host. If it doesn't work, then you know that your VM is the problem.

You don't give much specifics (PING results from 2008 machine, PING results from XP VMs, PING results from VMs on different host. IPCONFIG, VMX file, etc.) so it's difficult to troubleshoot more. But what I was mentioning previously is to try to see if you're making any assumtions. (Why do you check this box in networking properties? Because I've always used that. But why? Smiley Wink ) To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, if all logical suspects have been eliminated, then start looking for illogical suspects. Meaning, just because you've been able to make 2008 VMs that worked before, does not mean that this VM not working must be a bug in WS. Confirm that this VM is working. Confirm that there are no dup IPs. I usually start my troubleshooting with the phrase "what have I done wrong?" instead of "what's wrong with this thing?!" which helps me find one of my stoopid mistakes more quickly. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
srct
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I haven't given specifics, but nobody has asked for anything specific, and you keep asking the same questions phrased differently, questions that have been answered repeatly.

This network has maybe 6 devices on it (/24 network). All but one of those devices is DHCP. The static IP being assigned is well below the DHCP range.

I KNOW the static IPs being assigned ARE NOT on the network. Yet when they are assigned, as soon as they take affect, I get the duplicate IP error. At home, on another network, I am running VMWare Server (NOT workstation) on Ubuntu, and can run Server 2008 systems fine. At work, on this network, running Workstation on Vista, ANY TIME I try to bring a Server 2008 on to the network via a bridged netwok that server gets a duplicate IP error.

It doesn't matter if the Server 2008 is running a GUI or Core, static or DHCP, just being brought on the network is enough for it to happen. Again, this is ONLY with Server 2008 (all other VMs work fine), and Only on Workstation (6.0.3) running on Vista (Business edition, no SP1).

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

You have Server on one network, but Workstation on another network. So you have not tried the same VM in Workstation AND Server on the SAME network. (Assumption: the two networks are identical.) So install Server on your problem network and copy the non-working VM to the Server host. If problem still happens on Server, then the issue is NOT a bug in Workstation. The rule when troubleshooting is to change ONE thing at a time, not multiple things.

Not stated: did you COPY the non-working 2008 VM from the Workstation network to the Server network? Not build a new 2008 VM, but copy the existing one? (e.g.: your Toyota starts up this morning, therefore your friends's Toyota will start this morning. No, because they're different machines.)

Assupmtion: " I KNOW the static IPs being assigned ARE NOT on the network." No rogue machines that you forgot about or someone else didn't tell you about? (If no one told you, how do you know? Smiley Wink ) It's only 6 machines so it's you can physically go to each machine and check. Multihomed NICs? Printservers? Webcams? Or just turn off all machines. Obviously, if the machine is off, there can't be a dup IP error. Simple tests that don't take much time and will very quickly eliminate these possibilities.

Not stated: working XP machines are using the SAME IP addr as the non-working 2008 machines? If different IP addr, then that is not testing anything about dup IP addr.

I've installed 2008 (32bit) as a VM and run it in WS6, WS6.5beta, Server1 and Server2 beta. The one major difference between my setups and yours is that my hosts are Windows based, no Linux. (XP-Pro, Vista Business, 2003 Server hosts.) But you said your WS6.0.3 was using Vista as a host so that (probably) rules out a specific Linux host issue.

I'm repeating because in my experience, many of these issues are because people do the same things over and over, not realizing that they're making the same mistakes. I have not seen any dup IP thread regarding 2008 VMs. And WS6 has been out for a while so based upon what's been posted, there is not enough evidence to point to a bug in Workstation. My point is that there are many assumptions that you've made (or implied in your posts) that have not been eliminated.

0 Kudos
dhs13
Contributor
Contributor

What you have is a knon Windows bug that I reported many times to Microsoft.

If you do a ipconfig /all at the command line, you will see the ipaddress on the Windows 2008 machine. What is it?

In my case, it was a non-existance IP address like 192.168.x.x.range.

After I manaually changed the IP address along with DNS numbers, i was able to get around this.

0 Kudos
BlueRaven
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, just wanted to tell you my case, in case it may help you, or others with similar issue.

Machines Configuration

Host Machine:

- Windows Vista OS

- Wireless network connection

- Static IP (behind router)

. ADSL Router, with static range (100 +) and DHCP range (50 - 100)

- Kaspersky Internet Security (replacing windows firewall)

Guest Machine

- Windows Server 2008

- VMWare Bridged network connection -> bridged to my wireless connection

- DHCP - assigned IP

Given these configs above, i had the same problem ("windows has detected an IP address conflict" error) so no networking available on my guest OS.

After some desperates essay-error procedures, i got it working.

What worked for me was this: In my wireless network connection properties window, deactivated the "Kaspersky Antivirus NDIS 6 Filter" (see attached file).

If you don't have installed Kaspersky, it well may be caused by another similar security software at this level.

Hope this helps someone

Regards

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

<< darn. I replied to a very old thread -- shame on me for not checking dates. Please ignore this post >>

Message was edited by: Scissor

0 Kudos
afdiaz
Contributor
Contributor

I found another possible cause.

In fact I was also on the same problem and also spent many many hours.

In my case I had Hamachi installed and when I did the bridged network windows tried to get the hamachi

address and not a dhcp addres. That is why it showed 0.0.0.0 and besides that said there was a conflict with

the ip address although there was suppossedly none.

Disabling Hamachi insterface will solve it for this case and bridged networking should work normally.

0 Kudos
eb00
Contributor
Contributor

Hi BlueRaven,

It is 2011 and Kaspersky haven't fix the issue, or vmware ..., anyway your post has fixed my issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
dhlewis
Contributor
Contributor

As eb00 said, thanks BlueRaven..,you steered me well. Apparently, there's more discussions on the topic, some more recent, but this was the first one I saw from Google...so, to pass it on, look for the NDIS filter; in my case it was a VPN filter ("GreenBow") which, once disabled, all my VMs wound back up, and saw each other, the network, etc. Life is good.

This was a test environment, only, so the heat wasn't on (yet), but, I'd like to thank those who chimed in late on an older thread, and saved what's left of my hair from being yanked out.

Cheers,

~Dan

0 Kudos
keiooz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will try and see if this works. Thanks as this may be the possible reason of this problem.

0 Kudos
Tonyke
Contributor
Contributor

After a full day of searching the web for possible causes, this post saved my weekend.

It was Kaspersky that made my NIC go crazy!!

Thanks for your answer! It helped me alot!

0 Kudos