VMware Communities
AA
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Guest OS Screen Resolution too high

Hi

Using Workstation 10 on a Lenovo W520 laptop whose native resolution is 1920x1080.

The guest OS is Windows Server 2003 and the Display setting set to AutoDetect.  The guest has a resulting resolution of 1916x876 which is fine.

The same guest was transferred to my new Dell XPS 13 whose native resolution is 3200x1800.

When the guest runs, its resolution is 3196x1457 and all is much too small to do any work.  If I adjust guest resolution to a lower one, the working area is too small and if I do autofit, the resolution reverts to the original.

What's the way out?

Thanks for you help.

1 Reply
dahan
Contributor
Contributor

I'm interested in a solution to this too. VMWare Fusion has a "Use full resolution for Retina display" option in the VM's Display setting section--it's unchecked by default, in which case Fusion scales the display up 2x so the guest isn't tiny and illegible. Macs aren't the only machines that have high-DPI displays though; PCs have them too, so it seems like Workstation needs the same option.

Also, View -> Autosize -> Stretch Guest is grayed out for some reason... if that would work, Workstation at least be usable on a high-DPI display. It looks like Stretch Guest is available in full screen mode; any reason to not have it in windowed mode too? Finally, even in full screen mode, Stretch Guest doesn't work properly... the mouse location is really messed up. E.g., if I move the mouse pointer near the lower-left of the guest desktop and hold down the mouse button and move it around, it shows a drag rectangle near the upper-right of the desktop--very far away from where the mouse is.