VMware Communities
Chico1970201110
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Experience Index (WEI) problem after instaling VMware Tools

Hi,

I'm running a test scenario with Windows 7 Enterprise on a Workstation 8. Unfortunately I'm running into a problem with recalculating the Windows Experience Index needed for Aero effects.

When I install a fresh system with Windows 7 with absolutely no extra software, all is fine. The WEI is calculated correctly (see attachments screenshot_without_vmwaretools.jpg and winsat_without.vmwaretools.log). The overall rating is very low offcourse since Windows is using a Standard-VGA Graphical Adapter at that point.

So VMware Tools is needed to install the VMware SVGA 3D Adapter. After installation of VMware Tools, a recalcultion of the WEI is needed. When re-running the WEI I get an error (see attachments screenshot_with_vmwaretools.jpg and winsat_with_vmwaretools.txt). The error refers to the infamous  "winsat\main.cpp:4736: ERROR:  Unable to save validated results" message. So, I can only conclude that VMware Tools is somehow preventing winsat to write the "Formal.Assessment (Initial).WinSAT" file. All other xml files are created without a problem.

Removing VmWare tools allows me to recalculate the WEI without a problem. Offcourse this is no option since I need the VMware SVGA 3D adapter.

I'm pretty much stuck at this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ronny

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chico1970201110
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Anybody any ideas ? Am I really the only one experiencing this kind of behaviour ?

Well could be I guess ...

Figured out that just installing the VMware SVGA 3D driver on itself causes the WEI to reproduce the error "winsat\main.cpp:4736: ERROR: Unable to save validated results". So even without the rest of the VMware Tools installed, WEI stops working correctly. Removing the driver corrects the situation and recalculating the WEI will work again.

This leads me to think that I'm dealing with a host related issue (although I'm seeing this across different hardware and host operating systems, I guess I'd better start with one system and see if we can figure this one out :-).

Host computer

---------------------

ASUS K93S
18.4-inch 1920 x 1080 LED-backlight display
intel core i7 2630qm 2ghz
1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card
16GB DDR3 RAM

Operating System : Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS (64-Bit)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I think I'm gonna get in over my head with this one ...

Kind regards,

Ronny

0 Kudos
jwramseyjr
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
rkkrene_kettere
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.