VMware Communities
eGroupsupport
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8 on Workstation 7.1.4?

Will the latest Windows 8 Developer Preview that Microsoft released run on Workstation 7.1.4?  I'm downloading the ISO right now, but would like to prepare for when it's done.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Works fine  on Virtualbox 412 (x64 Windows Host)  I'll try it on Linux Vitualbox as well - expect it to work well also.   On 7.14 the installation  of thePreview fails  before get beyond "Loadinig Files" because of a HAL initilization error.   I'll get WS 8 once I know it will work without  patches on the new stable 3.x kernel.  Otherwise its just not worth $99 for the upgrade.

Marty

0 Kudos
mattiasw2
Contributor
Contributor

You were lucky, probably due to the AMD chip. I use iCore5, and no luck with 7.1.4. I do not really see any benefits in updating except WIndows 8.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I hava quad core AMD processor and had no luck   Since the OS guest (Windows 8 x64) complained about HAL and immediately ended the iinstall I didn't try a third time. l.  But I'm with you - no point in  upgrading for $99 if  that the only benfirt.  Ther \are other benfit to WS 8  of course but not in the small envirorment  in which I work.  But I am going to try something that "might" work - later in the day.  Windows 8 installed without  a hitch in Virtualbox (8 Updaees aready!).  So I  firute firute why not  try to  reim stall a VB with the  .vmdk format instaead of the .vdi formmat and  see if WS 7.1.4 can open it. Let you know by and bye.

0 Kudos
Gis
Contributor
Contributor

As long as VMware is supporting Workstation 7.x they should then be supporting the use of Windows 8 on it. I'm hoping that would be done soon.

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Don't hold your breath.  There are some fundamental things needed to run Windows 8 that are only in Workstation 8 I think.

-Noel

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Windows 8 needs virtual hardware version 8 which was introduced with Workstation 8 / ESXi 5

VMware never added support for newer Virtual hardware versions to older versions - so your chances are very very low

0 Kudos