VMware Communities
ramansingla
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8 Pro x86, Bridged Networking - No Internet Access

Host is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with Workstation 9.

Installed Ubuntu 12.04 with bridged networking. Works great with internet access.

Installed Windows 8 Pro x86 from an ISO file with bridged networking. No internet access. Tried all other configurations (NAT, Host). When using NAT it shows network cable unplugged.

My physical network card is Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230.

VMWare Tools are installed. Didn't use Easy Install and VMWare Tools were installed manually.

This string is present in the .vmx file ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please post (attach) the VM's vmware.log to see whether this contains any hints.

André

0 Kudos
ramansingla
Contributor
Contributor

Is it safe (privacy) to attach that file?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Take a look at the file and decide whether you want to attach it or not.

Assuming that you are running VMware Workstation in a private network (behind a router and/or firewall) and with NAT configured for the VM there's not much in the log file which someone could use to attack you (except you added usernames/passwords to the Annotations). If you want remove any lines which contain information about the host system.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the screen shot of the Virtual Network Editor, it looks like something went wrong with the installation!? There's no vmnet1 (Host-Only) and vmnet8 (NAT). I'd recommend you click the "Restore Default" button to see whether these two vmnets are created.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The log file looks ok. With the restored network defaults, can you please try to configure the VM for NAT networking to see whether this works now? Sometimes bridged networking is restricted for wireless adapters by allowing only a single connection (e.g. the host itself)!?

If NAT still does not work, please post the output of ipconfig /all for the guest as well as the host (only the vmnet8 part is necessary from the host)

André

ramansingla
Contributor
Contributor

I'm confused, Bridged networking works fine with Ubuntu 12.04 on the same machine. I have two VMs Windows 8 Pro x86 and Ubuntu 12.04 x86. I run only one VM at a time. I'll try NAT...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please don't get me wrong. What I said about restrictions for wireless adapters doesn't apply to all of them (that's why I said "Sometimes"). Anyway, as NAT usually works without any hardware dependencies, I'd like to see whether this works now before digging into the bridged issue.

Btw. does the VM get a DHCP lease from your DHCP server in bridged mode?

André

0 Kudos
ramansingla
Contributor
Contributor

I have internet connectivity with NAT.

With bridged I was getting IP from router for just a couple of seconds after booting up.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I have internet connectivity with NAT.

Ok, this at least proves that the VM's configuration is ok.

With bridged I was getting IP from router for just a couple of seconds after booting up

And then ...? What happened? Any entries in the Windows event logs?

André

0 Kudos
ramansingla
Contributor
Contributor

It showed connectivity for a couple of seconds and I verified that the IP was correct. But after a couple of seconds it started showing an IP in the range 169.x.x.x without and DNS or Gateway, probably Auto-Configured. There are no networks with that IP range around.

0 Kudos