VMware Communities
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 8 Developer Preview Runs on Workstation 8

Got it all installed and working (Windows 8 is slick!), but VMware Workstation 8 doesn't really "know" about Windows 8 yet.  I used the Windows 7 x64 settings and pointed the CD at the WindowsDeveloperPreview-64bit-English-Developer.iso from Microsoft.  Went in smooth as silk.

I'm going to snapshot the VM and try to install the Windows 7 VMware Tools on Windows 8.  What the heck!  Smiley Happy  I'll report back.  Otherwise I guess we'll have to wait for a Windows 8 VMware Tools package in order to get conveniences like copying the clipboard to/from the VM.

-Noel

0 Kudos
32 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

You don't say which version of WS you are using - however I got the identical error messages during the insatll  when using Ws 7.1.4.  No problems  with WS 8.  If you were using WS 7.x try the free trial of 8 and buy it if it suits  your needs.

Marty

0 Kudos
Michael_Geary
Contributor
Contributor

Gosh, I forgot to mention that, sorry. I am running Workstation 8 on the ThinkPad W510. The machine has 16GB RAM, Intel Core i7 Q720, NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M, and runs Windows 7 Professional x64.

On this configuration, 3696MB works fine in the Windows 8 VM, 3700MB gives the black screen.    

-Mike

0 Kudos
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You are all doing better than me; I can't even get the dang thing to install.

Since the DP doesn't need a key I tried a blank key, then a random key... no dice.

I'm probably missing something obvious but don't have time to figure it out and since you all found it so easy... what am I missing?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Never mind; just don't use easy install, duh!

0 Kudos
silvery
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8 x64 stunned once I have installed VMWare tools. Finally after 2 days of reverting VM state to default state (tried to change compability of setup file to Windows 7 and all other options) I figured out that if you install VMWare tools without SVGA driver - everything goes ok, and if you run VMWare tools installation again after that, choose "Modify" option and mark SVGA driver back - everything goes fine. Another thing - it's somehow tied to host's parameters, e.g. if you have Aero disabled on Windows 7 host - there could be lags in your Windows 8 guest. Gonna make some further testing...

0 Kudos
silvery
Contributor
Contributor

The product key for DP can be found on your installation CD image(in sources\pid.txt).

0 Kudos
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The iso I downloaded said it doesn't need a key; I didn't need to enter one. Thanks for the tip anyway.

0 Kudos
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hate to say it; but my VMware tools installation went fine. I have Aero disabled on my host. Everything went fine for me aside from the product key issue (Smiley Wink) and the fact that Windows 8 (if that's what it ends up being called) is a bit kooky, IMHO. It may be better with a touch screen, but think I'll do my back in leaning forward to touch my screen(s) so instead I'll have to learn the keyboard/mouse equivalents of 2 finger pinch gestures and just suck it up.

0 Kudos
silvery
Contributor
Contributor

Realize that after installation of SVGA driver I cannot reboot this VM (blank screen). I tried to change guest RAM settings but no dice yet. So it seems that the only possible way for me is to revert to snapshot "installed SVGA" (at least this works fine) on every power on.

0 Kudos
silvery
Contributor
Contributor

Finally I can reboot this WIndows 8 x64 VM after guest RAM settings was changed to 1024Mb.

0 Kudos
muetstem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So far no succes installing vmware tools. Running VMWS 8 on Ubuntu 11 Dell laptop studio 1557 8GB ram I7 processor.

The installation of Windows 8 64 bits is no problem, but installing vmware tools (is try to instal the setup64.exe in Windows 7 compatibility mode) After the VGA driver of vmware tools get loaded, screen is locked. After installing vmware tools and skipping the SVGA driver Windows 8 works (only bad VGA performance).

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try reducing the RAM allocated to the VM to less than 4 GB.

-Noel

0 Kudos
muetstem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem solved! I installed the right driver on Ubuntu ATI /AMD  proprietary FGLXR driver and now I can boot the VM with the VMware driver installed.

I still have some issues with screens going wild, maybe looking for better drivers into Ubuntu will solve this to.

There is a ATI / AMD proprietary FGLXR (post-release updates) driver I can use, but I don't know if this driver is better than the one I'am using now.

0 Kudos