VMware Communities
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows 8 Consumer Preview Network Issue

Today it came out and I had to install it on VMWare Workstation 8.0.1. I can do everything except use the internet. I installed the VMWare tools and installed vmxnet 3 but even changing from NAT to bridged in settings it still will not show that I have internet. Please help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

juki1994 wrote: I did the research and it seems that only vsphere can use e1000

No offense intended however obviously your research is flawed.  Select Windows 7 as the Guest OS for the VM and it will by default use e1000 in the .vmx configuration file.

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

why did you install vmxnet3 ?
use the E1000 - it will work out of the box - no tools required

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is E100 and how do I use it?

0 Kudos
tejaaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Juki..

E1000 virtual network interface adaptor.. (Intel)

I am using Windows 8 Customer preview on VMware workstation 8 & so far no issuess.. as such.

http://www.mytricks.in/2012/03/guide-installing-windows-8-customer_01.html

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is more helpful, however I did the research and it seems that only vsphere can use e1000 but somehow I have that on Windows 8 Developer Preview so I guess I will just just reinstall Windows 8 and see what happens.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

juki1994 wrote: I did the research and it seems that only vsphere can use e1000

No offense intended however obviously your research is flawed.  Select Windows 7 as the Guest OS for the VM and it will by default use e1000 in the .vmx configuration file.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I know that is what I did wrong. I selected Other instead. I will try this tonight!

0 Kudos
DashPartha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have installed Windows 8 consumer Preview on Vmware Player 4.0.2 & i have added the same(ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"0) in to my .vmx file but still my network is disconnected Smiley Sad. need some help on this

Thanks,

Partha

Cheers!!!!! Parthasarathi Dash
0 Kudos
DashPartha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

This issue got resolved. i have installed Windows 8 from scratch. now it is taking network connection Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Partha

Cheers!!!!! Parthasarathi Dash
0 Kudos
zasd22008
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi guys!

This is really work! I have Windows 8 guest system, that was installed as "Other guest system" and I had same troubles with network adapter.My virtual network adapter named as "Ethernet controller" had rejected any drivers I tryed to install. I try vmxnet, vmxnet3 to directly install, I try different distributives of VMWare-tools, but drivers don't installed with this network adapter.

Solution of this problem - I opened .vmx file of this virtual mathine in text editor (Notedped++, for example), I found lin

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

and add after this following line:

and it has began to work!

WoodyZ, thank you very much!!

0 Kudos