VMware Communities
goldens
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8.1 October rollup KB2995388 and issue with Workstation 10

Just installed this update today, noticed after that I could no longer start any VMs with the error of "Not enough physical memory is available", even though 60gb were free and 47gb was allocated available to VMs.  Rebooted, same issue...uninstalled the patch and everything working fine again.

Anybody else running a 8.1 host install this yet?

75 Replies
MarkColo
Contributor
Contributor

So what does adding that ini file line actually do?

vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE"

I noticed that if I use the memory preference "Fit all virtual memory into reserved host RAM" that the message occurred.

If I left it at "Allow SOME virtual memory to be swapped", then it would not.

I want to avoid swapping.  That's why I bought 16 GB of RAM...

I have to wonder if that ini file setting just ignores these preferences I choose and runs it extra swappy.

(VMWare 9.0.4 - what not going to patch that too?)

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi MarkColo, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

For an explanation of what vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE" does, see the last paragraph of my comment in Re: MS patches in January break VMWare 9.0.4-1945795 on Windows 8.1.

vmmon.disableHostParameters does not change how "swappy" the VMs can be... It just changes the limit of how much RAM may be used by VMware Workstation, which may affect the number of VMs that you can run at a time.  The more swappiness you allow, the more VMs you should be able to run within the available memory.

With everything otherwise running normally, using vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE" will somewhat lower the limit on the amount of memory that's considered available for Workstation to use.

If you are running Workstation on a host OS with which it is not compatible, it might be necessary to use vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE"  because without that option Workstation may incorrectly think that your host has very little available RAM... In that situation, disabling host parameters will cause Workstation to see more memory.

Hope this helps explain things...

If you have any more concerns, please indicate how many VMs you are running concurrently and their allocated memory.

I am not aware of any plan to address this issue in Workstation 9.0.x.

Cheers,

--

Darius

Bdanie77
Contributor
Contributor

You obviously had no plan for version 10 either. I will not uninstall my patches, nor will I stoop to some config file trick. I will find another virtual solution. You just lost me (home and work... by the way I'm a senior sys admin).

thanks for shit of nothing

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Bdanie77,

The problem described in this thread should have been fixed in Workstation 10.0.4 and newer.  If you're continuing to encounter problems with Workstation 10.0.4 or newer, please describe the issue you're encountering... There should no longer be any need for config file tricks or uninstalling patches.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Bdanie77
Contributor
Contributor

My apologies, I had v.10 but it was less than 10.0.4. You are correct, the latest version works. I don't mind eating my words and this looks like the appropriate time.

0 Kudos
mangel1234
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i have the same problems again after the March patchday.

Does anybody knows, which patch is responsible for the problem this time?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi mangel1234, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

Are you running Windows 8.1 there, or Windows 8 or Windows 10?  Which version of Workstation?

If you are still encountering this problem, please post the vmware.log file from inside the virtual machine's folder on the host, and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mangel1234
Contributor
Contributor

hello dariusd,

thanks for your support.

I use a Workstation 8 with Windows 8.1.

The problem is solved, but I do not really know, how.

After some hours trying to find a solution for the problem (again), I've installed the Workstation 11 Trial Version to see, if the problem is existent is this version, too. But with the Workstation 11, the VMs runs fine.

Then, I've uninstalled the 11 and installed my Workstation 8.0.4 again, upgrade to 8.0.6 to reproduce the problem... But now, the VMs are starting again.

0 Kudos
staxenius
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I Had this on VMware Workstation 10.0.3 installed on a Windows 8.1 Laptop and i found out after some investigation that i had a VM located on an external drive (WD Travelmate via USB3).
If that drive wasn't connected when i tried to start, I got this failure, even if i didn't start a VM that didn't have any resouces in this drive.

If any powered down VM resided on this drive (vmx files and/or vmdk files), a VM residing on the internal drive wouldnt start either with this error message.

Hope this helps

/M

0 Kudos
Allthenamesaret
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Darius,

I guess I'm having the same issue. Windows 8.1 Pro, VMWare Workstation 9.0.1 build-894247, log attached. Is there any workaround except upgrade to Workstation 10?

0 Kudos
MattytheK
Contributor
Contributor

I was having this issue earlier Allthenamesaretaken, and just going from 10.0.3.1895310 to 10.0.5 build-2443746 fixed it right up, just did the download from the sit with a clean install.

0 Kudos
AnthonyL25
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Steve78

Just let you know, what you mention in your post work for me.  I have Windows 8.1  with VMWare Workstation 9.0.0 build-812388

Thanks

0 Kudos
sndp123
Contributor
Contributor

i ... My opering system is windows 8.1 and my system RAM is 6 GB with intel core i3 processor...

I got error in vmvare " not enough physical memory to start virtual  machine. then  after some day  i visit at your webside and read the bolg about this error solution and i  uninstalled the microsofts update like

"KB2995388" then reboot the system, after that i search config.ini file in drive "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation"  but i did'nt got this file, so i created a new "config.ini" file and write one line

vmmon.disableHostParameters = “TRUE” and save the file , then i copied this file to vmware workstation , like this path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation' after that i opened my vmware and power on virtula machine but still i getting same error like not enough physical memory..........plesae any one can help me ? and give me a better solution to solve this problem ?

0 Kudos
MattytheK
Contributor
Contributor

sndp123, which version of VMware Workstation are you using?  The most common current fix is upgrading your installation to the latest.

0 Kudos
martincortez
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah!!  this issue was solved with this workarround.  Thank you Boys.  Greetings from Monterrey, Mex.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sndp123
Contributor
Contributor

hi, I am using VMvare Workstation 10.0 and its currently working Now !!!!!!! thank You guys Smiley Happy

0 Kudos