VMware Communities
goldens
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8.1 October rollup KB2995388 and issue with Workstation 10

Just installed this update today, noticed after that I could no longer start any VMs with the error of "Not enough physical memory is available", even though 60gb were free and 47gb was allocated available to VMs.  Rebooted, same issue...uninstalled the patch and everything working fine again.

Anybody else running a 8.1 host install this yet?

75 Replies
nantaboot
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your reply ,but it did not work , i've created a config.ini in C:\Users\nante\AppData\Local\VMware ,and write vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE" into (is there something wrong?i don't nedd to copy all the lines in config.ini in C:\ProgramData\vmware\vmplayer ? )

0 Kudos
dominicraf
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, so try copying in all the lines also from c::\ProgramData\vmware\vmplayer\config.ini...

You probably need to reboot the machine too...

0 Kudos
nantaboot
Contributor
Contributor

don't mind.i copy all lines ,and reboot my PC 3 times but it did not work ,any suggestion ?

0 Kudos
dominicraf
Contributor
Contributor

Strange, it worked for me with Player 4, and others here reported success with Player 6.

Did you try uninstalling KB2995388? I think this has worked for some and not for others...

Maybe someone else can suggest something?

0 Kudos
nantaboot
Contributor
Contributor

no i did not uninstall the KB2995388 , i wanted to test the config.ini solution before uninstalling the KB2995388 .i guess i have no choice .thanks for all Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
nantaboot
Contributor
Contributor

but i notice something weird,i'm not allowed to edit and save the config.ini in C:\ProgramData\VmWare\vmplayer\ because it says that it is already open by another program...but i can remove or cut,and i can recreate it.

0 Kudos
Rainer42
Contributor
Contributor

with the new Player i.e. 6.04.x you dont have

to manipulate your ini or deinstall kb2995388.

it runs fine for me

Rainer

0 Kudos
nantaboot
Contributor
Contributor

sorry ,it's vmplayer 6.0.1 for me,and it doesn't work

0 Kudos
nantaboot
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for all,the only solution that worked for me was to uninstall kb2995388 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bsteinwand
Contributor
Contributor

KB3012199 will also break VMWare for you.  You cannot uninstall this update.  I strongly recommend turning off automatic updates if you need your computer for anything important.

The same solution proposed below worked for me. 

Right-click notepad and run as administrator.  Open up the file below.  Add a parameter of:  vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE"

Save and restart your machine. That should do it. 

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\config.ini

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi bsteinwand, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

Are you running the latest update of Workstation (10.0.4 or 11.0.0)?  Could you provide a vmware.log showing the failure when vmmon.disableHostParameters is "FALSE" (or when it's absent, since FALSE is the default)?  (You can attach a file by composing a reply, and looking below the reply window, just above the Post Message button, for the button to attach a file.)

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Mr_ES_VOR
Contributor
Contributor

KB2995388 broke vmware for me.  Uninstalling it fixed it but doing that every time auto-update reinstalled it got tiresome.  Adding

vmmon.disableHostParameters=TRUE

to the end of the config.ini did not.  Recognized my mistake and changed it to

vmmon.disableHostParameters="TRUE"

That and 'Run as administrator' worked UNTIL KB3012199

Moving vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE" from the bottom of config.ini to the top fixed it again (for now).

As you pointed out it, it is important to open the app used for editing config.ini as an admin in order to save it.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Mr_ES_VOR, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

The incompatibility with KB2995388 should have been fixed by the Workstation 10.0.4 update that we released at the end of October.  Did you still encounter the problem when running Workstation 10.0.4 or Workstation 11?  Have you tried Workstation 10.0.4 or Workstation 11 with KB3012199 and without the vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE" workaround?

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
AmirCreek
Contributor
Contributor

I am using VM Player V6.0.0 and 6 Gb Ram, I have uninstalled the  kb2995388. I cannot find the config.ini file. I still have the error message about physical memory. can somebody advise me what to do? Thank you

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi AmirCreek, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

Try updating to Player 6.0.4... It's a free update with fixes for all sorts of issues, including a fix for the issue described in this thread caused by KB2995388.

If that doesn't help, please find the vmware.log inside the virtual machine's folder after it fails to power on, and upload it here as an attachment.  (To attach the file, start composing a reply to this thread, and look for the Browse... button below the compose window, just above the Post Message button, and use that.  Please don't copy-and-paste the file into your reply!)

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Rainer42
Contributor
Contributor

Try the new 7.0x Version of VMWare. runs fine for me

HTH

Rainer

Nachricht geändert durch Rainer42

0 Kudos
AmirCreek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Darius,

Thank you very much, The issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
TCPIPNet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Had the same problem and by uninstalling KB2995388 it worked. 

0 Kudos
RoneyJ
Contributor
Contributor

"Not enough physical memory available error" while opening VM instance on Windows8.1

It shows insufficient memory even if there is sufficient memory available. The culprit seems to be the windows update installed: K2995388.

Possible solutions

• Uninstall K2995388 Windows update (Worked for some but didnt work for me)
  • Logged in as an administrator and changed the config.ini file under c:/programdata/VMware/VMwarePlayer and added:

vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE"

note 1. make sure to type it in rather than copy paste from this link coz it may reformat the quotes around TRUE & give an error while starting the vm along with "insufficent memory .."

note 2. If you don't have permissions to save the changes to config.ini on this folder (i didn't..even though I had full access), save it to documents folder & try to copy/paste it back into this folder

• Copied (overwrote) the changed config.ini file to the following locations:

c:/ProgramData/VMware/VmWareWorkstation 

c:/ProgramFiles (x86)/VMware/VMwarePlayer

c:/users/my name/AppData/Roaming/VMWare

• Restarted my machine & VMPlayer. It finally worked!! Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
MPCtestpc
Contributor
Contributor

Encountered this issue early today and can confirm that RoneyJ's solution works. Thanks!

0 Kudos