VMware Communities
Solidbrass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 7 x64 as host OS, breaks windows filesharing

I tried installing VMWare workstation inside of Windows 7 Beta x64 (build 7000). At first glance it appears to work, but even when idle with no guest OS running, it somehow breaks windows filesharing in a way that I cannot seem to work around. Essentially with a directory shared inside of windows 7, I can see that share, read and write to it from other network clients without a problem. As soon as I install VMWare Workstation, no clients can connect. When I try using the troubleshooter in windows 7, it reports that there are multiple devices performing NAT. I tried disabling NAT, disabling DHCP, and eventually disabling all the virtual interfaces created by VMWare Workstation during install. All to no avail. As soon as I uninstall VMWare workstation, network clients can connect to the Windows 7 host again.

Has anyone found a workaround for this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
birdie
Expert
Expert

Windows 7 is neither supported, nor released. PLEASE, stop running it in a production environment and PLEASE, stop asking question about it.

Windows 7 will be released in November 2009 until that time it's advised to use officially supported products like Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003 and Server 2008.

0 Kudos
Solidbrass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I didn't say anything about a production environment. I described a problem and asked if the community had a work around. If you don't know the answer and have nothing to contribute you can just ignore the thread. I am doing other product r&d in windows 7 beta and being able to use it as a vmware host during testing would be convenient for the application in question, but I also need smb to work right to move files into the host is from other systems on the network.

0 Kudos