VMware Communities
mgerlach
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 vmware workstation 7.0.1 opensuse 11.3 network connectivity issues

First off, I'd like to say thanks up front for whomever can help me with this issue.

I have two Windows 7 machines.  On the "problem" machine, I install OpenSUSE 11.3.  Once installed, I can ping from guest to host, but can go no further.  The host can ping the guest and everything else on the network.  It's almost like the guest is being blocked by something on the host from seeing the rest of the network.

On the OpenSUSE guest, I've configured a single Bridged connection and assigned it an unused address on our local network.

Here's the rub: when I move the VMDK's from the first Windows 7 box to the other, I have no issues.  I can freely ping the rest of the network.  The OpenSUSE box works as expected with a standard bridged connection.

On the problem box:

Admin rights aren't the problem as my account is an admin on both boxes and I'm logging in as that account.

Windows Firewall isn't the issue - it's turned off on both boxes.

I've tried upgrading VMWare Workstation to the latest version - to no avail.

The only thing that we've had an issue with on the problem machine is VMWare Workstation crashing the box with a 0x7xxxxxxx error.  We do a repair on the VMWare install, and that seems to fix the problem where the box crashes less, but it's still an issue. Could this be a VMWare installation issue?

Help?

Thanks,

Mark Gerlach

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to find out which virtual NIC this VM is using under the properties of that VM (edit virtual machine properties from VMware WorkStation).

Open the Virtual Network Editor which is available under your Start button --> All Programs --> VMware.

Verify that the virtual NIC (VMnetxxxx) uses the right configuration.

BTW, do you have this issue on your home or business network? Your switchport on your business network might be configured to allow only one host on that switchport.

0 Kudos
mgerlach
Contributor
Contributor

The guest only has one virtual NIC, and there is only one physical NIC on the host.

This is a business network, but again I can get it working on another Windows 7 machine on the same network switch (stupid little 16-port Netgear GB Switch).

Thanks for the help.....

M

0 Kudos