VMware Communities
Fredie__CEM_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7/vista and VLAN Tagging (802.1q) over VMWare Workstation 7??

Hi,

It's possible to enable VLAN Tagging in a virtual machine running Windows 7/Vista over VMWare WorkSation 7?

I have diferent VM's that must be run in a different VLAN's. For my purposes I prefer to use 802.1q in a bridged interface.

Thanks

Fredie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Maybe. If you configure your Guest to use an Intel e1000 virtual NIC, then you could install the Intel NIC drivers inside your Guest... I believe the Intel drivers includes support for VLANs. But I haven't tested this myself.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Maybe. If you configure your Guest to use an Intel e1000 virtual NIC, then you could install the Intel NIC drivers inside your Guest... I believe the Intel drivers includes support for VLANs. But I haven't tested this myself.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

as OP said the physical ethernet must support vlan tagging (802.1q).

Then you can assign to workstation the "virtual" vlan interfaces created in the physical ethernet. Just configure it in the Virtual Network Editor.

If the workstation sees this vlan interfaces, then this interfaces can be assigned to the vm's.

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
TronAr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I don't think so.

If I understand you correctly, you want to have a 802.1q trunk in your guest, i.e., what VMware calls VGT (Virtual Guest Tagging), and workstation does not (as of v7.1) support it. Please see http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-12122.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ok,

you give me a idea Smiley Wink

Soon i will create a vmware doc about vlan 802.1q tagging in vmware server and workstation. Officially this products don't support vlan tagging, but it works Smiley Happy

I have some production vmware server 2 running in trunk ports (with vlan tagging) without any problem. I haven't tried with workstation yet, but it should work too.

Workstation is a vmware product more powerful than server.

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
TronAr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Pablo,

I've not been able to make it work. As I said in the document cited, the issue seems to be a lack of tag support in the vswitch.

You claim that it works, so please tell me what configuration does so. I've been unable to have a guest trunk operational.

What does work is to associate a vswitch to a host vlan though.

-Carlos

0 Kudos
Fredie__CEM_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks everybody for your answers, It works installing Intel Driver for Intel Pro 1000 Mt adapter. I can't find a driver for this adapter and Windows 7. I use Intel Vista 32 bits driver and works fine. Intel Pro 1000 MT driver from Microsoft (under Windows 7) it seems to can't be configurated with 802.1q and VLAN tagging. Using Intel vista driver works fine

Thanks!

Fredie

0 Kudos
TronAr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yuk! It does work.

I forgot to change the driver to Intel's (w2k3) and enable MonitorMode to let tags go through the driver.

Too bad (for me) because I thouht I had nailed why I was not getting a lab setup of a 1000v working, and now I'm back to square one.

-Carlos

0 Kudos
eeze
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I stumbled upon this page looking for a way to make my Pro/1000 MT dual-port adapter support vlan tagging in Windows 7 Enterprise.

I tried everything manual device driver install, setting gpedit.msc to allow newer drives, ProSet for Vista and x64.  Nothing I could do would enable me to see those extra tabs labelled "VLANS" and other.  Including some WMI launch service.

Through in a Pro/1000 PT into my PC, installed ProSet and voila, the tabs are there.

Just signed up to advise anyone else wading through all the materials to get this to work. Order a PT card and you'll rest well.

Now back to esxi 5.1 testing.

0 Kudos
gh_uk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have now been able to download the required drivers but still cant get my VST setup to work. Should be adding the required vlan IDs to the VLAN tab within the ProSet NIC driver?

0 Kudos
eeze
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I switched to using a PT adapter,  installed the drivers and voila, the tabs showed up under the properties.

For each vlan you want to be able to map in esxi, you'll need to create the VLAN on the NIC, and it'll show up as a seperate logical interface.

0 Kudos