VMware Communities
akrherz
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 guest keeps attempting to apply 2 updates on shutdown

Hi,

I have a windows 7 guest on RHEL5 64bit workstation host. The windows 7 guest will constantly attempt to apply2 updates each time I shutdown the VM. I googled around and found something about windows atttempting to overwrite vmware provided drivers, but the fixes didn't seem to work for me. Any ideas what I could try to make it stop this? thank you!

daryl

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

but the fixes didn't seem to work for me. Any ideas what I could try to make it stop this? thank you!

What updates are trying to install?

khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you tried to disable automatic updates? or have you tried to run Windows updates to install them before it shuts down?

-- Kyle

"RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
akrherz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB981852)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB977165)

0 Kudos
akrherz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. The windows update log says that those two updates are successfully installed each time, only to attempt to reinstall them again during the next shutdown.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB981852)

According to some sites, there are patches after this. So hide these, ignore them. Later patches will supercede these. This one especially appears to have problems.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/48277-kb981852-update-going-into-loops.html

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If disabling automatic updates doesn't fix the issue can you revert back to a date before the updates were installed? Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Recovery (you can click on show more recovery points if you need to go back further)

-- Kyle

"RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
akrherz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll disable automatic updates and ignore those two in the future.

0 Kudos
ewagner1223
Contributor
Contributor

I have a Windows 7 guest on mandriva 2010.1 and had a similar problem. It was like being in the movie "Groundhog day". it didn't matter if it was an app or system updated, after every restart, I had to apply the same updates over and over again. I was working with a snapshot. The way I solved the problem was to create a stand-alone clone. I haven't had a problem with updates ever since.

Ernie

0 Kudos