VMware Communities
jimbo45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 7 - both X-64 and X-86 NAT Broken

Hi all

using vmware 6.5.2 it seems the NAT (VMNET 😎 service is broken when using Windows 7 as a HOST OS. You CAN connect to the LAN but not to the internet. I.e the VM sees other machines on your LAN but it can't communicate with the Internet.

Bridged Networking is fine, as is HOST ONLY networking. Doesn't matter if you are using a Wired or a wireless connection on the Host machine.

Guest OS is Windows XP SP3.

Host OS is a recent "pre RC" but "post beta" build of W7 -- build 7077.

Cheers

jimbo

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Cefurkan
Contributor
Contributor

i have same problem on x 86

pls fix asap

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Windows 7 is NOT supported at this time because Windows 7 is only BETA software and not a released product.

After Windows 7 is released, support will be added for this host OS

So you may run into some issues with a untested host OS

0 Kudos
jimbo45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there

Understand that - especially as it's a Beta OS - but was hoping that it "would have worked". However at least Bridged Networking is OK.

Cheers

jimbo.

0 Kudos
beiber
Contributor
Contributor

Any chance that NAT will be fixed now that 7 has been pushed up to a RC 1 and MS Wants to release the OS by mid October?

0 Kudos
Tonyr2
Contributor
Contributor

+1

0 Kudos
thaJack
Contributor
Contributor

+1. Running Windows 7 and would really like for NAT to work. Thanks.

0 Kudos
thool
Contributor
Contributor

+1 more :-). As W7 now is RC and therefore feature complete vmware should be able to start fixing this issue. I do understand not supporting a beta but this issue is really bugging me since I do want to use W7 but frequently swicth beetwen networks. The current workarounds using Host only is to time consuming for me.

Thanx by the way for a great product :smileyblush:

BR

Thomas

0 Kudos
kdshapiro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I recall correctly, RC1 was released after 6.5.2. If you read between the lines for the timelines of 6.5 releases, it'll be about 3 months until the next release.

0 Kudos
SomeoneYouKnow
Contributor
Contributor

+1

I've got the same problem here Smiley Happy

Would be really great, if VMWare would start supporting Windows 7 at least shortly after it is RTM

0 Kudos
Rick_Webster
Contributor
Contributor

After Windows 7 is released, support will be added for this host OS

I hate it when companies use excuses like this. Many people using VMware are computer enthusiasts. These are also the people most likely to be early adopters of new technologies such as Windows 7. I understand that Windows 7 will not be "officially" supported until it is released but I would expect VMware to provide "experimental" versions of VMware Workstation to those of us that have decided to switch to the Windows 7 RC. I also take issue with the statement that support will be added after Windows 7 release. I would expect that full support will be there on the day of release. VMware has access to the RC and should be resolving any issues prior to Windows 7 release.

So you may run into some issues with a untested host OS

Well, that's what we are doing, is testing. An issue has been identified, so fix it.

0 Kudos
dascott
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I managed to get my VM accessing the internet using bridged mode to my laptop's wireless NIC. (Dell D1520 with Dell Wireless 1390 Mini Card).

I am running W7-RC1.

Initially I had the same issues as all of you but have now found a workaround which does not require any complicated changes to VMware network and does not require Windows ICS.

You simply (re)-install VMware Workstation 6.x with all standard install options then change a couple of settings using the Virtual Network Editor tool.

1. Launch Virtual Network Editor

2. Select Automatic Bridging tab

3. Click ADD and add your WIRED ethernet card to the ‘Do not attempt to automatically bridge to the following adapters' list.

4. Click Apply.

5. Select Bridge network mode for the VM

6. Edit the VM NIC and configure a permanent IP address, subnet, default gateway and DNS address which matches the subnet/range used by your wireless router. DCHP may also work but I never tested it.

(I think the problem was that VMware automatically bridged to the wired NIC whilst the active internet connection was actually on my laptop's Wireless NIC.)

Hope this helps and hope it works for some of you.

Dez

0 Kudos
feter
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, Windows 7 is now RTM; is there any info on when or how is this issue going to be corrected?

0 Kudos
Portshot
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree... how can we test and prep for Windows 7 beforehand.

0 Kudos
BillyM2008
Contributor
Contributor

Just discovered this "feature" today after upgrading to Windows 7 RTM. I agree with the upstream poster about VMware users likely being inclined to be on the cutting edge and thus more likely to be among the first to upgrade to a new OS like Windows 7. The response on why it is not being supported by VMware was lame... it's not as though they didn't have time to at least synch up with the RTM and provide a "beta" for us.

I was hoping it would solve the NAT problem I was experiencing with Windows Vista where I constantly had to stop/start the service because it would just stop functioning... though it shows as running. Now their NAT service is worse than ever.

Come on, VMware... you can do better than that. Put some priority and talent on the the NAT service... it appears to be a weak link for you.

0 Kudos
thool
Contributor
Contributor

Hej,

Jag befinner mig för närvarande på semester och är åter 17/8. Jag läser min e-post sporadiskt under semestern.

mvh

Thomas Olsson

0 Kudos
BillyM2008
Contributor
Contributor

? -- Was the previous post Swedish for: "I'm currently on vacation and back 17 / 8. I read my mail sporadically during the vacation."

0 Kudos
Kirakosyan
Contributor
Contributor

Really confused.............

Where is WMware support team ?

why this issue was not checked while MS published RC1

(HyperV comes.........) don't forget it

Fix it please and let's enjoy your product !!

0 Kudos
Nils_Dacke
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with Windows 7 x64 release, NAT and Workstation 6.5.2. But I also checked the same VMs with VMWare Player...and Player NAT works! Strange!?

However, I need the full Workstation to run and found the following temporary fix until VMWare release an updated version:

I have checkedc a couple of VMs and both Bridge and NAT now work as they should.

0 Kudos
Tonyr2
Contributor
Contributor

Great news Nils.. thanks for the 'fix' . The only thing preventing me from upgrading to 7 x64 is this VMware issue.

I noticed that Player works too. Odd!

Can you give a little more feedback after you've tested it a little more.I'm waiting to upgrade Smiley Happy

0 Kudos