VMware Communities
ErikDe
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 boots in an endless loop

Hi,

I have created a VMWare 7.0 Image of Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit Edition, I have used the installer disc that came with my MSDN subscription. My host system is running WinXP SP3 on a Dell Laptop that has 64Bit and VT support enabled in BIOS. On the machine I created the image, everything works fine.

The problem occurs when I copy the Image to a machine of a coworker, who has basically the same hardware, I also made sure that all BIOS settings are correct. What happens is that the Image boots, then I get a progress-bar in text mode that says "Windows Is Loading Files", and after that the virtual machine reboots and the same happens over and over again.

I have tried pressing F8 during bootup, but I get no bootloader. I have also tried to boot from my source DVD in the virtual machine, which works, but Windows 7 setup says it cannot repair, even the advanced repair options do not work.

The strange thing is that on my machine where the image is working, I do not get the message "Windows Is Loading Files" at all, it simply boots into a graphical screen instantly showing an animated Microsoft logo. Additionally, on that system I can easily gain access to boot options pressing F8.

What may be the cause for the endless booting loop of my installation? It really drives me mad since nothing I tried so far seems to work out.

Many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>>who has basically the same hardware,

Just a WAG, but did you download and run the VMware test to see if VT is "really on"?

There have been reports of laptops that don't really set VT on, even after changing it in BIOS and power cycling.

Lou

ErikDe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

this sounds like a good idea, what is this test tool called exactly, and where can I get it?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This KB article describes the process (for both Workstation and ESX). It does not look like the link is valid, perhaps someone has a better link?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1003944&sl...

It seems to me that there was one brand of laptop (Sony???) that would not set VT. Sorry I don't have a better link.

Lou

0 Kudos
ErikDe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

since the problem still persists, and I could not find any other answers yet, is there any solution to the problem?

0 Kudos