VMware Communities
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 7 Pro conversion yields 'small/tiny' Desktop

VM Workstation 12.1.0 Build 3272444 (all updates)

Host OS: Windows 10; 8GB RAM; 64bit chip

Guest OS (converted): WIndows 7 Pro (all MS Updates)

Memory: 2GB (Recommended)

HD: 137GB

Enhanced Keyboard: Off

VMTools: Updated

I converted a laptop's 64bit chip HD image from 720GB to about 120GB (actual used, pretty much) to a VMWare Workstation image.  Brought it over to my new Windows 10 and got everything (to my knowledge) going - haven't checked Internet though.  I have a 4"x3.5" Desktop on the Workstation image. 

How can I get a FULL screen display as the image's Desktop is the 4"x3.5" but there's still 'black' space surrounding the Desktop.

I checked around and tried the View options but I still see the 'black' around the Desktop.  It seems that once I can get rid of the 'black' space this issue will be resolved.

TIA!!!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thanks for using Workstation. Could you please check the Win7 process list from Windows Task Manager, select show processes from all users and see if there are two vmtoolsd.exe running, one is SYSTEM, one is your user account. Typically, the auto resize feature stops working because something wrong with the tools. Did you tried uninstall the tools first from control panel and install it again?

0 Kudos
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick response!

FYI, I have a 15.6" LED display.  I re-ran VMTools and now I have about a 6"x5" display with black background border until I do a cntl-alt-ENTER when I see my display being nearly full.  The Desktop display for this image is now starting just to the right of the File drop-down menu so this leaves about an inch or so on each side of the physical display.

1) There are two (2) vmtoolsd.exe running - one for the UserID and one for the System

2) There are two (2) vmware-converter.exe running

3) One vmware-converter-a.exe running

4) FYI, my WinXP Desktop images display filling the full 15.6" LED screen but this Win7Pro doesnt.

Lot's better and now usable but still desiring the full display screen.

TIA!!!!!

0 Kudos