VMware Communities
lcstaudt
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 Licensing

Just wondering if another Windows 7 ultimate license needs to be purchased for VMware Workstation/virtual machine? I don't want to upgrade to ultimate until I know that I wont have to purchase another license..

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

IMHO you need a new license for Windows 7 Ultimate if you want to install it in a VMWare VM, but forum members must correct me if I'm wrong. I know that Windows is licensed per machine. A virtual is also a machine.

lcstaudt
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that, but in Vista Ultimate, we did not need another license for our VM. I was just wondering if Windows 7 Ultimate would be the same.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I understand that, but in Vista Ultimate, we did not need another license for our VM.

Sure? Do you have a link to the license agreement that states this?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Here's an official document from Microsoft, dated March 2010: http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/d/4/3d42bdc2-6725-4b29-b75a-a5b04179958b/licensing_windows7...

You can use the 90 days trial time to experiment with Windows 7 as a vm because they only mention volume licensing in this document. Maybe buying a System builder version for the VM would cover the license issue so that you at least have a license for the vm itself.

No mention of special ultimate VM rights like the rights to use 4 vms like it's been with Windows 2008 Enterprise and Datacenter versions where Microsoft have created articles which shows how the different server versions have different advantages using them in virtualisation environments.

lcstaudt
Contributor
Contributor

"USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may use the software installed on the

licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed device."

Windows Vista Agreement

(Notice that under the home and other editions that this is not the case)

I just know from personal experience as that is what we are running atm.

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have reread the german one for Vista SP1 business and I would interpret it different then I was reading the english wording.

From german I would say that I may use it on a physical device or as a virtual machine on this device however virtualisation main host license can be such things as esx or linux with virtual box but not the same license because the virtual PC is just another virtual device.

I'm no layer and maybe I read it different but interesting for sure Smiley Happy

0 Kudos