VMware Communities
wsealock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7 Guest fails after hibernate

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a strange issue with Windows 7 guests.  I'm using VMWare Workstation 7.1.5 on a Windows 7 host.  The issue is: if I use Hibernate (in the GUEST, not the host - and I'm talking about the Windows 7 Hibernate option, not the Sleep option), the guest appears to hibernate.  However, we I try to restart the VM, it never recovers from the hibernate properly.  It boots to the Windows 7 lock screen, but when I login the guest screen is just blank; I get cursor, but whole screen is just black.  I can use CTL-ALT-INS to see the Windows 7 guest Lock/Switch User/Log Off/Change Password/Start Task Manager screen, and I can select Task Manager, but it never comes up (or at least, never displays), and I just see the black screen.  Really, the only thing that I can do at this point is Shut Down at this point and re-start the VM.  I've tried this with both Windows 7 Pro x86 and Windows 7 Pro x64 guests, and both have this same problem.

Has anyone had issues like this with Windows 7 guests where Hibernate can't be used?  Is there something I need to set in Workstation to get this to work?  Or is hibernation of this type just not supported by Workstation 7?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you must test that special feature on real metal then

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

dont use hibernate / sleep inside the guest - VMware "suspend" function serves the same purpose and does not have this problems

0 Kudos
wsealock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, I'm testing software that does some 'stuff' over the network so I need to test what happens when Windows goes into Sleep/Hibernate mode (which are both different than VMWare's Pause function in that they are initiated from inside the VM).  And of course, I need to test that that our software recovers properly when the PC wakes back up again. VMWare seems to be treating Sleep mode properly, but Hibernate is just a mess.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you must test that special feature on real metal then

0 Kudos
wsealock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed.  Hope my CTO has the budget to buy some hardware...

0 Kudos
Tyomni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Had the same problem only on my real Windows Se7eN OS, but this isn't related, just my motherboard had an issue 

0 Kudos