VMware Communities
Brandtbr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7 64bit host runs very slow after shutting down VMWare Workstation

I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 on a Dell laptop with an i7 processor and 6 gb ram and VMWare Workstation 9. Everything runs fine on both the host and VM while the VM is powered on but after suspending the VM and exiting workstation the host system becomes very slow and applications become unresponsive. This lasts for several minutes after shutting down Workstation. I typically only run one VM at a time but even when I have had a couple of them running both they and the host system are very responsive. I have launched Task Manager with great difficulty when this happens to see if I can see any issues with processors free time and memory usage and everything looks fine. I So far all of my searches have turned up discussions on this kind of problem while the VM was running so am at a loss as to where to even go next to accomplish this troubleshooting.

Regards,

Bruce Brandt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
UnitUniverse2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's because windows is collecting memory the vmware used back to the system and marking those memory blocks piece by piece as 'Free'. If you shutted down the virtual machine(not suspended it) then the memory can be returned to the system right away. I guess if it was caused by Intel RST driver because i noticed about there is no such issue at an AMD computer used by my colleague.

You can wait before the HDD-light stops keeping constant light stats, in the mean time try to avoid activating any disk-io consumption applications / operations.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would probably start with the tools (process monitor, Process Explorer, DiskMonitor) at sysinternals.com. Microsoft tools for debugging such things with info on such there on technet. Should be able to show you CPU, memory and disk activity.

Lou

0 Kudos
Brandtbr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Lou,

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
UnitUniverse2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's because windows is collecting memory the vmware used back to the system and marking those memory blocks piece by piece as 'Free'. If you shutted down the virtual machine(not suspended it) then the memory can be returned to the system right away. I guess if it was caused by Intel RST driver because i noticed about there is no such issue at an AMD computer used by my colleague.

You can wait before the HDD-light stops keeping constant light stats, in the mean time try to avoid activating any disk-io consumption applications / operations.

0 Kudos
Brandtbr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran the a test and you were right, shutting down the VM before exiting VMWare Workstation worked to keep my system responsive. I'll pass this on to other users here in the office. Thank you.

0 Kudos