VMware Communities
dsyzling
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 64bit guest slow shutdown

I'm currently running vmware workstation 7.1 build 261024 on Windows 7 64bit, 8gb. I have a 64bit Windows 7 guest which seems to take a long time to shutdown. In general vmware 7.1 (possibly 64bit issue) appears slower than older versions. I've used workstation from vmware 5.x and guests have never taken this long to shutdown. As an example the windows 7 guess took between 5-10 minutes to shutdown yesterday. The virtual machine is stored and accessed on an external USB drive (I have a number of different drives, both powered and non powered they are all demonstrate equally slow shutdown).

I've noticed some older virtual machines I have - an old 32bit windows xp vm also taking a lot longer to shutdown since moving up to 7.1 64bit.

During shutdown all activity (via procmon) occurs writing to a .vmem file in the virtual machine directory. Once shutdown this vmem file is deleted.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Regards

Darren

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could try setting the following option in your Guest's .VMX file or your Host's config.ini file:

mainMem.useNamedFile = "FALSE"

More info: http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-advanced.html#mainmem

0 Kudos
Wik31146
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome, that setting worked!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jessepool
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Wik31146. Can you provide more info about your USB drive (make/model, etc), including what file system you're using (NTFS, FAT32, etc)? And, if possible, provide a vmware.log showing the problem.

Our default config policy is to not store the .vmem file on a removable drive on Windows hosts (that's not true on all hosts), so I'm curious to know why that check didn't take effect in your setup. Maybe we can detect setups like yours automatically in a future release.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe we can detect setups like yours automatically in a future release.

Please , please do not add further automatic checks.

The automatic bridging or the automatic CDrom detection all produce more problems then they actually solve.

It would be nice on the other hand to have a GUI option to configure where the mainmem-file is stored.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook