VMware Communities
babernat
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 64-bit host and Workstation 7 freezes during Windows 3.1 setup

Has anyone seen this before? I'm trying to install Windows 3.1 guest. After getting through the first 2 disks, the setup starts windows 3.1 it is at the initial screen that both the guest and host OS freeze and the computer reboots. Windows' event viewer does not show anything of interest except for Kernel power compaining the compuer was not shut down correctly.

Here are my vitals:

Workstation version: 7.1.3 build-324285

Windows: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Build 7600) 6.1.7600

Any insight would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've never seen that before. Do the VMware logs mention anything? They would be in the same folder as the VM being installed.

If possible, trying installing the VM on another computer, VMware Player can be used, and see if the same results occur. If so, then something may be wrong with the istallation media. If not, then copy the VM to a USB drive and see if it works on the Win 7 machine.

0 Kudos
babernat
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to work around this by choosing a DOS VM type and then proceeding through the install.

0 Kudos
keiooz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why does there's always a problem with Windows 7 especially when it is running in 64-bit. I will try Windows XP or Vista for now I guess.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Why does there's always a problem with Windows 7 ...

probabbly because Windows 7 is the most used platform these days ?

If you want flawless operation of Workstation use XP or 2003 rather than Vista

0 Kudos
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree. Better stick with xp than vista. Vista is such a memory hog OS and in my opinion, has so many issues (more than Win7).

Regards, Harold

0 Kudos