VMware Communities
TomTinsley
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 64 bit Host Install - newbie

I have tried to search for the answer on this board and on Google. When I do an install of VMware Workstation 7 RC (OCT) it installs in c:\Program FIles (x86)\ and nothing installs in the c:\Program Files\ folder. Same thing happens with VMware Workstation 6.5.3. So does this mean VMware is not actually a 64 bit application that will install on a 64 bit Host? Maybe it is only a 32 bit application that can install on a 64 bit OS? I am running Windows 7 64 bit RTM with a Intel Core 2 Extreme X7900 processor. The BIOS does have VT enabled.

Thanks Tom Tinsley, CCNA, MCSE Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM VMWare Workstation 7 RC
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Saadat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will assume VMware workstation is a 32bit application. You can install it on supported 32 or 64bit host systems.

But in order to create 64bit Virutal Machines (Guests), you have to have a 64bit Host, otherwise it is not going to support the guest VM.

Page 37 VMware workstation user manual:

"Workstation supports virtual machines with 64‐bit guest operating systems only on

host machines that have one of the supported 64‐bit processors. When you power on a

virtual machine with a 64‐bit guest operating system, Workstation performs an internal

check. If the host CPU is not a supported 64‐bit processor, you cannot power on the

virtual machine.

VMware also provides a standalone utility that you can use without Workstation to

perform the same check and determine whether your CPU is supported for

Workstation virtual machines with 64‐bit guest operating systems. Download the 64‐bit

processor check utility from the downloads area of the VMware Web site.

Workstation supports virtual machines with 64‐bit guest operating systems only in

versions 5.5 and later. If your version of Workstation is 5.0 or earlier, upgrade to version

6.0 or later for 64‐bit guest operating system support. A virtual machine created in

Workstation version 5.5 with a 64‐bit operating system cannot be powered on or

resumed in Workstation versions 5.0 and earlier."

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ernestsaadat
TomTinsley
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input Saadat. I know I am able to run 64 bit guest as I have already accomplished that when I had Vista Ultimate 32 and VMware installed. I was able to install Windows 7 RC 64 bit guest OS as well as Fedora. I was really hoping VMware 7 was a true 64 bit application and not a 32 bit app.

Thanks

Tom Tinsley, CCNA, MCSE

Windows 7 64bit RTM

VMware Workstation 7 RC

Thanks Tom Tinsley, CCNA, MCSE Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM VMWare Workstation 7 RC
0 Kudos