VMware Communities
spencerralph
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 2008 RC0 64bit and WSV

All,

Has anyone else tried to run Windows 2008 RC0 64Bit with windows server Virtualisation, it does not seem to want to install as it says that the processors is not supported, i have enalbed the virtualisation support to the VM by using the following.

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE

monitor_control.enable_svm = TRUE

this does woirk for ESX as a VM and allow me to run a VM within an ESX VM if you see what i mean, i suspect that it's down to the NX bit not being available to the VM but i'm not sure. the processor that i'm using is a Athlon Dual cure +5600 and this does support virtualisation technology.

Any idaeas welcome..

Spence...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Wonderstuff777
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone has any ideas on this thread then I'd like to hear suggestions too please as I have the same problem using Workstation v6.01 with Windows Server 2008 R0 64Bit running on a Intel Dual-Core 64-Bit CPU.

0 Kudos
vmcms
Contributor
Contributor

Are you able to run Windows Server 2003 64-bit in a VM on this system? You might have to enable virtualization in the system bios for the processor.

I'm running WS 2008 on ESX but it might be the 32-bit version.

0 Kudos
spencerralph
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes 64bit runs no problem even though its only running on the 32bit OS of Vista, and yes this has been done via the Virtualisation support on the processor.

Spence..

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You want to start viridian inside a VM ?

No way - we recently discussed this

VT or Pacifica support is NOT passed through to VMs.

You may try to setup viridian in a real-metal-box and then P2V it - in case the CPU-check is only done during install - chances very low I guess.

You may also try to edit the viridian-msi and try to remove the CPU-check - if it can be removed - chances very low I guess.

0 Kudos