VMware Communities
hwshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2000 onscreen keyboard input refreshing slowly.

I have a VM (windows 2000) created using VMWare VM converter. Its for the most part running fine. The only issue is the host PC is a Windows 10 touch screen PC. When entering for example the user name. You cannot enter the user quickly. If the user is "test" and you simply type this in quickly the result would be ttee.

1) Hitting "t" may enter "t" if you next enter "e" the letter entered would be "t". Then "e" again "e" will be entered, next enter "s" then "e" would be entered. 

2) However if you enter "t" then count to 5 then enter "e" the letter "e" will be entered then wait 5 enter "s" - "s" will be entered. This time delay allows the system to clear the previously entered value. 

It looks like the previously pressed letter is retained for a few seconds and not refreshed\cleared. Clearly it works but you can count to 5 every time you enter a letter\number. Is there a solution to this to allow clues to be added in a timely manner. 

Is there a way to refresh\clear the previously entered variable. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There's a reasonable chance you can fix it by setting the typematic min delay in the .vmx file.

See here for details:

https://www.vi-toolkit.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vmx_hacks#Fix_repeating_keys

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
hwshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila, 

Many thanks for your suggestion. I using a value < = >  than the value suggested in the link web page. However it didn't seem to make a difference. 

If maybe a nonsense question I am new to this whole VM world but I am Questioning if there is an issue with the touch screen driver and the windows 2000. 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

As far as Windows 2000 is concerned it is just a keyboard.. the VM doesn't know you enter data via a touch screen. Which is fine as Windows 2000 does not have any touch screen drivers.

Btw, I did not mention it, but any changes you make to the vmx file should be made with the VM shut down and not active in Workstation. So it is not that you can make changes to that file when the VM is running (most likely you knew that, just making sure)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
hwshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did edit the file with the VM shut down, but always best to ask somtimes the smallest thing or detail ruins good advice.

I am also questioning the hardware, the PC supplied is an industrial PC made by BnR Automation. The RAM is 8gb, 128gb SSD however the processor is an i3-3217 quad core with 1.6GHz per core. I would imagine this is sufficient for a very bare Winows 10 host and a VM Windows 10. Typicial on these industrial machines everything is pared back for heat and longevity. The key press isn't always a "linear" problem which makes me question if its hardware size.

I'm going move the VM to a new PC with better HW performance to see if its hardware related.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It might be the touch screen or the way that Windows 10 passes on the keys, but I doubt that it is because your hardware isn't sufficient. Sounds fine for me for a Windows 2000 VM. Those VM's tend to be very light weight.

If you have the hardware already then it certainly doesn't hurt to try on different hardware.

--
Wil

0 Kudos