VMware Communities
ozsmacd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 11 support as host for VMWare Workstation

Windows 11 is officially launched today, and chance we have an updated ETA on offical support for VMWare Workstation 16 (or perhaps 17) that will support Windows 11 as the host operating system.

Thank you for any help.

7 Replies
satxsam
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, these issues have been dragging things down but with the excuse "oh well it's not even released yet".  Well, now it is, and frankly the release build has been out for a while.  Need to see a functional version of Workstation Pro on Windows 11 soon.

REH62
Contributor
Contributor

I am running Workstation Pro 16.1.2 on Windows 11 and am not having any problems other than I can't create a Windows 11 VM on Windows 11 host. 

ozsmacd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, the internet is largely absent with any experiences with this.

I have turned off auto update just in case.  My use case is a nice that is my one 24/7 machine, runs windows and a few vms for various tasks.  So no hurry for me to upgrade, but it’s always nice to tinker.

I’ve managed to get Windows 11 guest running in the lastest Fusion version (MacOS host), havent tired with Windows host yet.

0 Kudos
monkeybagel
Contributor
Contributor

I have Windows 11 Enterprise RTM running on a Windows 11 Enterprise release preview host without any issue,  What are you seeing?

0 Kudos
dsesdg
Contributor
Contributor

Totally agree with @ozsmacd and @satxsam - here is a rather serious issue that I'm seeing in this configuration:  https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Workstation-16-1-2-Pro-under-Windows-11-hos...

I do hope that they fix this soon...

0 Kudos
OceanRob
Contributor
Contributor

I am operating on a VMWare Workstation 15 Pro. I have been trying to download Windows 11 on a PC with a digital license.  I am receiving a message during the setup that "This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements to install this version of windows.  For more information, visit https://aka.ms/WindowsSysReq".  

On my Virtual machine, I increased the memory to 4GB and the Hard Disk to 100GB.  Presently the Total  Processors core is still at 2.

My computer operates at 3.0 GHz, and I am running Windows 10 enterprise (21H1).  I have plenty of space on my C: and external harddrive. 

What do I need to do?

0 Kudos
OceanRob
Contributor
Contributor

My question is: Does the error message is for the virtual machine?  Not the actual computer?  Since it appeared in the VM creation.

0 Kudos