VMware Communities
cybernetuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 11 host support

Hi

I have a new Windows 11 laptop with the latest Workstation Pro.  None of my Windows 10/Windows7 VM machines will boot unless I only have 1 processor. It gets as far as just before the Windows icon first appears and then goes off.

I have seen something about disabling Hyper V which I have done - but made no difference. I have included a log just in case anyone might have an idea 🙂

thanks!!

Mark.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Did you also do the

“bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off” step?

Is Memory Integrity turned on? Is it part of a domain? Domain policies might be enforcing things like Memory Integrity.

Anyway, since it is a new laptop (assuming it is not part of domain) and came with manufacturer's default installation, maybe just do a clean install from USB of a Windows 11 ISO download.

There was another poster from a few weeks back. He had a Lenovo with Windows 11 Pro as well. He eventually did a clean install of the host OS.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

From the log, it looks like the Windows 11 host has Hyper-V enabled.

2021-11-05T09:09:41.353Z In(05) vmx IOPL_Init: Hyper-V detected by CPUID
2021-11-05T09:09:41.572Z In(05) vmx Monitor Mode: ULM

Remove services that rely on Hyper-V and Hyper-V itself.

Follow the guide here https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

Hyper-V removed the Monitor Mode in the vmware.log should show CPL0 instead of ULM.

2021-11-05T09:09:41.197Z In(05) vmx Host is Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (Build 22000.258)

You may also want to update the Windows 11 (to 22000.282) as well as there are expired certificates and apps like the Snipping Tool won't work.

cybernetuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the quick reply - weird as I have followed the guide and removed Hyper V entirely. I will have a mess and see what happens 🙂

0 Kudos
cybernetuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So updated Windows 11, Made sure Hyper V is not installed and full reboot - but the log still mentions Hyper V been detected - should I be looking elsewhere?

cheers

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Did you also do the

“bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off” step?

Is Memory Integrity turned on? Is it part of a domain? Domain policies might be enforcing things like Memory Integrity.

Anyway, since it is a new laptop (assuming it is not part of domain) and came with manufacturer's default installation, maybe just do a clean install from USB of a Windows 11 ISO download.

There was another poster from a few weeks back. He had a Lenovo with Windows 11 Pro as well. He eventually did a clean install of the host OS.

cybernetuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! It was the Memory Integrity that I needed to turn off - now I am all working - thanks so much!!

0 Kudos
OceanRob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am operating on a VMWare Workstation 15 Pro. I have been trying to download Windows 11 on a PC with a digital license.  I am receiving a message during the setup that "This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements to install this version of windows.  For more information, visit https://aka.ms/WindowsSysReq".  

On my Virtual machine, I increased the memory to 4GB and the Hard Disk to 100GB.  Presently the Total  Processors core is still at 2.

My computer operates at 3.0 GHz, and I am running Windows 10 enterprise (21H1).  I have plenty of space on my C: and external harddrive. 

What do I need to do?

0 Kudos