VMware Communities
BlackMizi
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 11 and vmrun

Hello,

I try to use vmrun wirh VMware Workstation 16.2.2 pro, as I used it in the past:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmrun.exe" -T ws start "d:\VMware\Work\Win11x64\Win11x64.vmx"

I get the error: Error: The operation is not supported

The call "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmrun.exe" -T ws start "d:\VMware\Work\Win10x64\Win10x64.vmx" works fine.

Who can help me, please?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is the Win11 VM encrypted?

0 Kudos
BlackMizi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. Is there a way to install Win 11 without encryption?

0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe there is a workaround, but I never tried it. For now, you can use this command to launch an encrypted VM:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmrun.exe" -vp <password for encrypted virtual machine> -T ws start "d:\VMware\Work\Win11x64\Win11x64.vmx"

I don't have a Win11 VM to test so I'm not sure if you leave the password blank that the command will prompt you for one. But at least this should get you up and running.

0 Kudos
BlackMizi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for Your answer. My problem for Your tip is that Windows never asks me for an encryption password, and I don't know it. 😞

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can't help you there. Have you been able to launch the VM from the GUI?

0 Kudos
BlackMizi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes via GUI it works fine.

0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you being prompted to unlock the VM before launching it? If not, then encryption is not the issue.

0 Kudos
BlackMizi
Contributor
Contributor

No, there is no prompt, but in the settings of the VMware is "access control: encrypted".
I've to add managedvm.autoADDVTPM = "software" after instalation and I've to rows in the vmx-file:
encryption.keySafe = "XXX"
encryption.data = "XXX"

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

0 Kudos
BlackMizi
Contributor
Contributor

Nice article, but it doesn't help me.

Is there a description available how I can install WIN 11 in a VMware without problems?

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@BlackMizi wrote:

Nice article, but it doesn't help me.

Is there a description available how I can install WIN 11 in a VMware without problems?

Thanks.

From my article:

Several automation API’s no longer work.

For example: Both starting your VM and take or commit snapshots, no longer work as expected. Those operations now require you to enter a password (which was never given).

You can still take a snapshot when a VM does not run.
However when the VM is running you get an error if you try:

C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation"\vmrun -T ws snapshot "C:\VMs\Windows\Windows.vmx" "testsnapshot2"
Error: Authentication for encrypted virtual machine failed

or start a VM

C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation"\vmrun -T ws start "C:\VMs\Windows\Windows.vmx"
Error: The operation is not supported

If you want to start your VM by trying to use vmware -x or vmware -X then that no longer works. It does start VMware Workstation and selects your VM, but it does not run the VM.

Which if I'm not mistaken is your issue?

I have discussed this with VMware about the time I published that article (end of October) and it was acknowledged as one of the issues with the experimental vTPM feature.

Is there a workaround?
Yes.. get rid of the experimental vTPM feature and use a normal encrypted VM.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos