VMware Communities
Sven_Vollmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 11 VM Soundcard

Hello,

short question: I have installed a Windows 11 VM in VMware Workstation 16.1.2 build-17966106 and recognized that the soundcard isn't installed properly. The device manager shows a "Audiocontroller for Multimedia" but it seems that there is no compatible driver. Is there a trick/workaround for this or have i just to wait for a VMware Workstation/Tools version that is full compatible with Windows 11 ? The Tools are fully installed and i let Windows search for a comaptible driver on the net, but it founds nothing.

Best regards Sven

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The way you described the problem, it looks like, or should I say to go with a word pun, sounds like an old problem.

What is the guest OS setting of the VM? Is it Windows 10 x64?
Edit the vmx file (shut down the VM first before editing), and look for a dictionary key sound.virtualdev. If it is there, is the value set as hdaudio? If it is not there add the line

sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"

to the vmx file.

With hdaudio setting, the audio device in Device Manager should show as High Definition Audio Device (assuming Windows 11 still has the same naming, I haven't tried Windows 11 yet).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The way you described the problem, it looks like, or should I say to go with a word pun, sounds like an old problem.

What is the guest OS setting of the VM? Is it Windows 10 x64?
Edit the vmx file (shut down the VM first before editing), and look for a dictionary key sound.virtualdev. If it is there, is the value set as hdaudio? If it is not there add the line

sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"

to the vmx file.

With hdaudio setting, the audio device in Device Manager should show as High Definition Audio Device (assuming Windows 11 still has the same naming, I haven't tried Windows 11 yet).

Sven_Vollmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

yes, the guest OS setting is Windows 10 x64. And thanks, your solutions works. But with Windows 11 its a real fun to edit the vmx file. A Windows 11 VM has to be encrypted to use the TPM Module which is a requirement to install Windows 11 in a VM. So you must remove the TPM Module, decrypt, edit, encrypt and add TPM Module :-). What a fun ;-).

So thanks again for the quick solution.

Best Regards Sven

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you want to give version 16.2 a try, there is a way to have a vTPM without encrypting the vmx and virtual disks.

https://twitter.com/mikeroySoft/status/1448675626714501122

Just note when you add the vmx entry managedVM.autoAddvTPM = "software", you need to close the UI and open it again and the virtual TPM will be added to the configuration without requiring encryption of the VM.

0 Kudos
Sven_Vollmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for this advice. I tried it and it works really fine.

Best regards Sven

0 Kudos