VMware Communities
himal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 11 22H2

Hi

i have windows 11 running in workstation 16. Everything is fine. As I try to upgrade windows 11 to windows 11 22h2 it started saying CPU not supported, tpm 2.0 is not there. It was all set before, that's why it was working till 21h2.

How to fix this.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try this . . . from the command prompt run . . .

REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup /v AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

then try the upgrade again.

0 Kudos
himal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this command to run in host machine or vm machine windows 11 ?

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

On the Win 11 that you are trying to upgrade and getting the "CPU not supported . . . " message.

0 Kudos
himal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok, thanks

Will do and report here

0 Kudos
himal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

20221020_150936.jpg

 so, it's still giving it, I added that key

20221020_151059.jpg

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hummmm . . . it would appear that the registry change only works when upgrading from Win 10 to Win 11, rather then Win 11 to Win11.  In addition, booting from an external image also does not have the desired effect (error message: upgrade option isn’t available . . . using installation media).

With a bit of research I did find this on elevenforum.com [excerpt below] which I have tested, and it worked, so you might like to give it a go.

Overview

- Disconnect from the internet before attempting to upgrade an unsupported device to 22H2.
- Replace appraiserres.dll with a dummy file of zero length.
- During Win 11 setup checks, select updates as 'not right now'.

Procedure

i. Disconnect the workstation/VM from the internet

ii. Replace the appraiserres.dll with a dummy file of zero length. Make a 'New Text Document' on your desktop, rename it appraiserres.dll, and put that in place of the original one.

Note: you cannot change this file if using an ‘expanded’ iso, or any protected media, if this is the case then just copy the content to another location on the workstation/VM to be upgraded, and modify and run from there.

iii. Run the Win 11 22H2 setup.exe

iv. From the setup menu select 'Change how Setup downloads updates'

CarltonR_2-1666348389632.png

and on the next window select 'Not right now'

CarltonR_4-1666348416953.png

v. Then, continue to install as per normal . . .

As this relates to Microsoft then would suggest that if you have any further queries then would suggest heading over to the good folks at elevenforum.com for further assistance.

Notes and Observations

As an exercise I ran through the upgrade with only changing the appraiserres.dll file with a dummy file of zero length . . . and ignored the 'disconnect from the Internet' and the 'Change how Setup downloads updates', and all worked without these two steps.  It may be down to the particular setup/configuration of the Win 11 which is being upgrade, so select the option which best suits your environment.

himal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, will try and report here

0 Kudos
himal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It worked, thank you

0 Kudos