VMware Communities
TedofRespondus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 wont boot with Multiple CPU's configured

Hello VMware Community!

I'm seeing a curious issue with (only) Windows 10 x64 not booting when multiple CPU's are configured. A Windows Logo and spinner of doom is encountered. A single CPU configuration will boot just fine.  This was first seen on an existing VM when I simply changed the CPU config.  Today, when attempting to build a new vm from a freshly downloaded ISO from MS it wont boot to the installer, and will likewise just spin for hours at the Windows Logo stage.  Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 dont exhibit this behavior. I have  a newer Dell Precision with 8 cores and virtualization is indeed configured in the bios.  Host OS is Windows 7 with Workstation 12.5.7 Pro.  Is a vanilla install not supported and/or am I missing something?  Please let me know if I need to provide more details...

Cheers,

Ted

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Ted,

Welcome at the VMware communities forum.

This is a stab in the dark, but are you running AVG, Avast or BitDefender 2017 antivirus at the host OS?

If AVG or Avast then see:

XP VM suddenly slow, Win 7 fine

for a solution on using both antivirus products along with VMware

TL;DR

In Avast Settings, troubleshooting you should uncheck the "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization" feature.

In AVG Settings, troubleshooting, uncheck "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization" feature.

Note that you will have to reboot to apply the change and make it permanent.

If you are running BitDefender 2017 at the host then the only solution that I am aware about is to uninstall and revert to an older version of BitDefender.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Ted,

Welcome at the VMware communities forum.

This is a stab in the dark, but are you running AVG, Avast or BitDefender 2017 antivirus at the host OS?

If AVG or Avast then see:

XP VM suddenly slow, Win 7 fine

for a solution on using both antivirus products along with VMware

TL;DR

In Avast Settings, troubleshooting you should uncheck the "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization" feature.

In AVG Settings, troubleshooting, uncheck "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization" feature.

Note that you will have to reboot to apply the change and make it permanent.

If you are running BitDefender 2017 at the host then the only solution that I am aware about is to uninstall and revert to an older version of BitDefender.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
TedofRespondus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wila, you are a genius!

AVG is at play here, but I had to uninstall it and now the legacy Win 10 VM Boots with 4 CPUs and so does the installer!

I guess after 10+ years of AVG, I might actually have to pay for an AV Client.

Anyone know why Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 will boot with 4 CPU's and Windows 10 wont with AVG?

(Besides Windows 10 being utterly horrible.)

Cheers,

Ted

0 Kudos
TedofRespondus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update:

You have to restart after "AVG Settings > troubleshooting >  uncheck "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization" feature.'

Hurray, I can still use AVG!

Cheers,

Ted

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, I see that my reply could be misread and have removed the "to make it permanent" bit for the next time it is needed.

Glad to hear it helped.

--

Wil

0 Kudos