VMware Communities
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 10 update 2004 Breaks VMware workstation 15

One of our workstations has just been updated to the Windows 10 update 2004.

This machine runs VMware workstation Version 15

And it does not have a connection to the Internet - when trying to connect devices being the ethernet connector it simply gives an error which says it's reported in the log file with the log file doesn't make any sense

Any thoughts on the part of the team will be very helpful

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay so usual remedy – delete and reinstall version 15 whatever and off we go

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need Workstation 15.5.5 or newer for Windows 10 v2004.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You should upgrade to 15.5.6 for 2004 to be supported as both the host OS and as a guest OS.

(Don't bother with 15.5.5 as it had a couple of bugs which 15.5.6 resolved)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In fact I have version 15.5.6 build 1634 1506

So again why will it not connect?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So the host OS won't connect to the internet or a guest OS in a VM?

If the guest, what OS?

Does whichever OS is affected have ANY network connectivity at all?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just noticed the VMWARE Virtual adaptors on the host are set to DHCP - when I've looked before they have had fixed IP on a different range than our internal network.

Is this an MS screw up?

0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI

Sorry - host windows 10, in this case guest windows 7

The host has connection, the guest not

0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay so usual remedy – delete and reinstall version 15 whatever and off we go

0 Kudos
digidwain1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This did NOT work for me.  I am VERY frustrated here.  I even went to WS 15.5.6 and still I get periodic hangs throughout my workday.  Why can't this be fixed?

Is there another VM solution out there that works with a virtual network editor so that I can have multiple bridged networks?  If so, I will jump ship.

Again - I have always loved workstation until now.  Now I cannot do my job effectively - the hangs are continuous.  Adding more RAM did nothing - re-install - nothing, changing BIOS settings, nothing.  VMware response on this issue - NOTHING!!!!   Support????  NOTHING...  What happened to VMWare?  Did the DELL buyout throw it into a tailspin?  I have been struggling with this issue for months.  I even changed out my physical box.  Still the hanging continues.  Please FIX THIS!!!  Publish the fix and let those of us who are suffering know the real solution.

0 Kudos
capvar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here... VM hangs randomly or when usb disk is connected to VM (Windows 10 Home 2004 as host and VMware 15.5.6) Windows 10 Pro as guest

0 Kudos