VMware Communities
Ariyama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 corrupted fonts after upgrade to Workstation Pro 16.1

I upgraded from Workstation Pro 15 to 16.1. The host is Ubuntu 20.4.

When I started up a Windows 10 guest, the system fonts are illegible. This same machine worked fine under Pro 15.

Windows 10 with corrupted fonts.Windows 10 with corrupted fonts.

How do I fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ariyama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry to reply to my own post. Looks like 3D acceleration is broken. When I unchecked "Accelerate 3D graphics" under "display", the fonts display correctly.

Thanks,

Andy  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ariyama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry to reply to my own post. Looks like 3D acceleration is broken. When I unchecked "Accelerate 3D graphics" under "display", the fonts display correctly.

Thanks,

Andy  

0 Kudos
mccompunerd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue. Your proposed "solution" works, but is not a solution as it's merely a workaround. I need 3d for some of the apps I use in the Windows VM, and disabling 3d makes the VM all but useless to me right now.

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you updated VMWare Tools yet? If you haven't, try doing that first to see if it helps.

0 Kudos
mccompunerd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running the latest Tools installed from an Iso downloaded directly from VMWare to make sure it wasn't my local one corrupted. It made no difference and enabling 3d still causes unreadable system fonts. 

0 Kudos
User2020host
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Into guest:

Win + R  >>> cttune.exe

ClearType in 5 steps fix this problem without unchecked "Accelerate 3D graphics". It works on windows 11 too.

0 Kudos