VMware Communities
Arcanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 10 copy of licensed & activated machine connected to Internet: What happen to both of them?

Hello,

I am new to this topic.

If I copy activated VM (Windows 10 Pro, 21H1) on the same PC and run it what happens? I mean if both VM's (original and copy) are connected to Internet at the same time?

Thanks.

PS: I don't want to test that. Therefore I ask before. 😎

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

1. The OS in the new VM might require activation seeing as some of the hardware components will be different (eg. NIC MAC address)

2. Even if it does work without requiring activation, it would be illegal if you only have 1 license.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

Arcanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, my Windows 8.1 unused licence worked fine. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

1. The OS in the new VM might require activation seeing as some of the hardware components will be different (eg. NIC MAC address)

2. Even if it does work without requiring activation, it would be illegal if you only have 1 license.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Arcanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, my Windows 8.1 unused licence worked fine. 

0 Kudos