VMware Communities
donod
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10, Workstation 10, no LAN bridge

Hi!

So, I'm running Windows 10, 64x tech preview. VMware workstation (latest greatest build (10.0.3) installs and it works just fine.

I always link a VMnet to a dedicated physical NIC. (bridge), however, even though I'm able to configure it, it simply doesn't work. The VMnet works fine internally on workstation, but not a single packet seems to be able to transfer to the host.

No firewall running, the VMware bridge drive is installed properly. When I create a host adapter for a virtual network and bridge it with the physical one it works, too. But a direct bridge doesn't work.

Can anyone running Windows 10 64x tech preview confirm this? It's quite simple configured as below.

Schermafdruk 2014-10-03 15.55.01.png

182 Replies
Amadeus1791
Contributor
Contributor

There is definitely a driver clash, the problem is finding out what Vmware doesn't like. I've tried uninstalling and disabling a few things but no luck yet. The more I look at whats on my laptop the less I want to do a clean install, but I think thats where I'll end up.

0 Kudos
teloi
Contributor
Contributor

• Update windows 10 today, after
  • Click Start → Control Panel → Network and Internet → View Network status and tasks → Change adapter settings.
  • Right-click any network adapter icon and click Properties.
  • Click Install.
  • Select Service and click Add.
  • Select VMware Bridge Protocol and click OK.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

email me at: cuonglt(dot)hdu(at)gmail(dot)com.

cniggeler
Contributor
Contributor

BINGO

0 Kudos
ShashankAggarwa
Contributor
Contributor

Have upgraded to Windows 10 Build 10586 and using VMware WorkStation 12, bridging still not working.

So I have shared My WIFI adaptor with VMware network Adaptor and I got internet inside the virtual machine.

Seems like a workaround but still waiting for bridging to work.

0 Kudos
natv
Contributor
Contributor

Wow I can't believe there's no fix for this yet.

I had this issue last month, and didn't want to do manually work arounds that weren't a permanent solution, so I reverted my Windows 10 upgrade back to 8.1

I'm wanting to upgrade back to 10 now and checked this thread and was sad to see there's been no progress by VMWare  😕

0 Kudos
Magdis
Contributor
Contributor

Gracias BruceXiong‌ tal vez no sepas español, pero gracias a ti parte de mi proyecto de tesis funciona. Besos desde Mexico! Heart

0 Kudos
p-avel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

maybe this is not directly solution but if you have a secound LAN/WLAN card you can connect it to your network and that will be work also.

BR

Pawel

0 Kudos
EliGodoy
Contributor
Contributor

Work fine restoring defaults in Virtual network Editor Panel. Close and Shutdown all VM first.

0 Kudos
pulipani
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried all the solutions mentioned here in this thread but it's still not working. I've installed VMware Workstation 12.1.0 build-3272444 running on Windows 10. Lan bridge is not enabled for any of my network cards...I get the following error when I try to add the VMware bridge service (see attached image)...I have full admin access to the system...pls help

0 Kudos
pulipani
Contributor
Contributor

Is there no one to help?

0 Kudos
mjkz
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue today after I upgrade to windows 10 version 1511.I could add the VMware bridge service after uninstalled(not stop) Kaspersky Internet Security.

I suggest you try to uninstall Anti-virus software if you dind'nt do it yet.

pulipani
Contributor
Contributor

mjkz,

You made my day. As you rightly pointed out, Kaspersky was the culprit. Thanks a ton.

0 Kudos
esotericbyte
Contributor
Contributor

VirtualBox and or MSVirtual driver should not be in automatic bridging.

This Solved the problem for me:

1. In VMWare Network Editor Restore Defaults

2. In Bridged networking settings change the automatic bridging settings.and uncheck other virtual adapters.

3.  Possibly start/restart virtual machine.  It was not necessary to reboot windows. The problem was fixed when I started my virtual machine. Others might report if changes can be made while virtual machines are running.

fix_vmware_networking.PNG

0 Kudos
OWagner
Contributor
Contributor

mjkz,

thx a lot, it worked for me too.

Addendum: Kaspersky can be reinstalled after VMware / Virutal Network Editor / Restore Defaults. For me, VM is running with Kaspersky.

Oliver

0 Kudos
drlee1234
Contributor
Contributor

Experiencing the same problem with VMnet0 not showing until I click Change Settings.  Even hitting Restore Defaults only works until next launch of VMware Workstation 12 Pro.  I have noticed if I Run as Administrator it appears to show every time but when I start my second VM with Bridged networking enabled it seems to freeze on occasion.  Anyone solved this?

0 Kudos
aceisastud1
Contributor
Contributor

All,

I have just fixed this with VMWare Workstation 12 Pro.  I imagine this fix will work on all flavors of VMWare after you upgrade to Windows 10.  Here is what I did to get it to work.  I had read on another site about how to "Reset to Defaults" and the rest is history.

1. Shutdown your VMs
  2. Close VMWare Workstation/Player/Etc
  3. Find in the VMWare apps the "Virtual Network Editor" and right click, then select "Run as Administrator".  Click Yes to allow when prompted.
  4. Inside Virtual Network Editor, click Reset to Defaults and this will remove and reload the VMNetworks and reassign your network interfaces
  5. There should be a VMNet for your Bridged networks now that you can select your NICs - > click Advanced Settings to do this
  6. Uncheck any that you do not want to be a part of your Bridged Networking.  I deselected all of my "Virtual Adapters".
  7. Click OK
  8. Exit Virtual Network Editor
  9. Open VMWare Workstation/Player/Etc
  10. Edit a VM's network adapter to confirm it is still set to "Bridged" and also set its Network State to match your Network Adapter (checkbox)
  11. Click OK
  12. Start your VM
  13. Should be able to get an IP now.  Smiley Happy

I hope this helps someone.....have a good one!

0 Kudos
CyberCrist
Contributor
Contributor

Just in case this helps anyone else...

Uninstall Kaspersky (if you run it)

Reboot

Open VMWare Workstation (I have 10)

Edit

Virtual Network Editor

Restore Defaults

That fixed it for me.

0 Kudos
AshSmith
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I hope this isn't reviving an old post (too much) - but it is the top hit on google.

After upgrading to Windows 10 on the last day, I had the same issue with a lack of adapters listed as bridgable in VMWare  Workstation.

The Solution I found works:

Add the VMWare Bridge Service to the network adapter.

Close VMWare Workstation.

In your Host OS (not the guest),

Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections

Right click on your physical Wired or Wireless adapter -> Properties

Click Install...

Select Service

Click Add...

Select VMware Bridge Protocol

Ok.

The adapters should now appear in the list within VMware Workstation.

Enjoy.

dvhirst
Contributor
Contributor

@AshSmith:  That top hit on Google is how I got here, as well.

I had been set up with NAT and working nicely in an earlier build of Win10.  After a recent Win10 update on both the host and guest systems, the previous configuration failed with no network connection (Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 10.0.10586 on VMWare Workstation 12 Player, v12.1.1 build-3770994 running as guest in Windows 10 Home x64, Version10.0.10586 host).  I followed @AshSmith's advice, switched to a bridged connection, and now all is well; thanks.

If anyone has advice about moving back to a NAT configuration in this setup, I'm all eyes.  TIA for any advice.

DVH

RYO System Configuration (updated 2016 08):  SCP: Win10 Home x64, Build 10586; Mobo: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Rev 1.02G; BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V1005 08/06/2010; CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3 BE, 3.95 GHz; RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3, 16 GB (4 x 4 GB); SATA III SSD: OCZ Vertex 460A 240 GB; SATA III HDD: 2 x Seagate 2 TB (Hybrid SSD/HDD), 2 x WD 500 GB, 3 x Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB3 (with Seagate Replica 5 SW for automatic backup);  ODD: 1 x Plextor SATA DVD RW, 1 x ASUS SATA BlueRay DVD RW; VGA: EVGA GEForce GTX 750, 1 GB; PSU: OCZ FirePower Tech 550W; Case: Eagle Tech-Skyhawk Server; Cooling: CPU-stock; 2 case fans.

0 Kudos
TheQuestion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had been set up with NAT and working nicely in an earlier build of Win10.  After a recent Win10 update on both the host and guest systems, the previous configuration failed with no network connection (Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 10.0.10586 on VMWare Workstation 12 Player, v12.1.1 build-3770994 running as guest in Windows 10 Home x64, Version10.0.10586 host).  I followed @AshSmith's advice, switched to a bridged connection, and now all is well; thanks.

If anyone has advice about moving back to a NAT configuration in this setup, I'm all eyes.  TIA for any advice.

That's because bridged Networking hasn't worked properly since VMware Workstation 9. Now getting it to work is trial and error. Sometimes disabling my anti-virus software's Firewall gets it to work, sometimes hitting "Restore Defaults" gets it to work, sometimes I have to completely reinstall the VMware Bridge Protocol, etc., etc. I don't see why VMware engineers just can't fix this once and for all. This is ridiculous! This is a KNOWN problem, and it's been known for YEARS!!!

The only good thing coming out of the EMC-Dell acquisition deal is all these useless, incompetent developers will soon be fired. And good riddance I say. This problem should have been fixed long ago. Maybe Dell can sort out this mess.

0 Kudos