VMware Communities
donod
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10, Workstation 10, no LAN bridge

Hi!

So, I'm running Windows 10, 64x tech preview. VMware workstation (latest greatest build (10.0.3) installs and it works just fine.

I always link a VMnet to a dedicated physical NIC. (bridge), however, even though I'm able to configure it, it simply doesn't work. The VMnet works fine internally on workstation, but not a single packet seems to be able to transfer to the host.

No firewall running, the VMware bridge drive is installed properly. When I create a host adapter for a virtual network and bridge it with the physical one it works, too. But a direct bridge doesn't work.

Can anyone running Windows 10 64x tech preview confirm this? It's quite simple configured as below.

Schermafdruk 2014-10-03 15.55.01.png

182 Replies
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

You will need to preform a 'Restore Defaults' after every upgrade, but not updates.

0 Kudos
rdferrari
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everybody! Here is the best solution I have found! :smileylaugh:

Link to: Original Post

On Windows host machines, reinstall the VMware Bridge Protocol:

In Windows Vista/7

• Click Start → Control Panel → Network and Internet → View Network status and tasks → Change adapter settings.
  • Right-click any network adapter icon and click Properties.
  • Select VMware Bridge Protocol and click Uninstall.
  • Click Install.
  • Select Service and click Add.
  • Select VMware Bridge Protocol and click OK.

Those instructions ask you to uninstall the VMware Bridge Protocol, but in my case, the Bridge Protocol wasn't there to install. However, when I installed it and checked the protocol box, and then chose bridged connection on my VM I was able to connect to the internet again.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, I can't believe people are still having these problems.

The simple solution is to:

1. Right-click the 'Virtual Network Editor' and 'Run as Administrator'
  2. In the bottom left-click 'Restore Defaults'

Wala, all the networking is removed and installed new...

0 Kudos
Apostolof
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately that did not work for me here.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

You most likely have a registry problem. Perhaps some left over fragments of malware?

0 Kudos
Apostolof
Contributor
Contributor

Kaspersky and Malwarebytes checked clean a few days ago, but I'll definitely update and re-check.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

There are always remints left over, even after cleaning. What you are describing is very unusual behavior for VMWare. If you cant 'Restore Defaults' successfully then there is definitely a problem somewhere.

Might be worth a fresh install if you haven't for awhile.

0 Kudos
Apostolof
Contributor
Contributor

Might be time for a Win10 USB key and an install from scratch I think.

0 Kudos
EtHANBB
Contributor
Contributor

Good evening folks,

I have the same problem with latest version of VMware Workstation (11.1.2) on Win10 Pro x64 (all updates installed).

Vmware is unable to install VMnet network cards, also Virtuan Network Editor gets stuck when trying to Restore Defaults.

Thankfully at least NAT works.

Windows is freshly installed (week old, NOT upgrade), only drivers and VMware, AV and my steam is installed.

I think this is some problem related to difference between how 10 and 8.1 and earlier Windowses handled these virtual NICs.

I hope patch will be out soon.

Ethan

Edit: BTW there is no "VMware Network Adapter VMnet1" or "VMware Network Adapter VMnet8" in Network connections like usually is on previous Windows versions.

Edit 2: I also tried Technology Preview 2015 .... still same problem.

0 Kudos
AdsDav
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem after finding none of my VM's could connect to the internet. I have Kaspersky and after I uninstalled Kaspersky the Editor now works fine.

Someone on the Internet suggested you only have to turn off the Kaspersky NDIS 6 driver on your Network Adaptor but that was not possible so I just went with uninstall.

I have reinstalled Kaspersky and it still works so it's just a case of uninstalling for the duration of the "repair"

Adam

posterberg
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome! Everything else failed, uninstalling Kaspersky did the trick! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
EtHANBB
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried to uninstall ESET NOD Antivirus I was using ... still no change :smileycry:

"VMware Network install library executable" still crashes (Not Responding - http://i.imgur.com/hXleuSn.jpg) during installation of workstation or during restoring defaults in Network Editor.

I'm starting to be a bit hopeless.

Edit: Tested on 12 Pro Final version ... still same issue.

0 Kudos
Amadeus1791
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem after upgrading to Win 10 pro form 8.1 pro, virtual adapters were scrambled, tried a reinstall of Vmware but can't create virtual network adapters, get the VMware Network install library executable Not Responding error. I'm beginning to think that a fresh install of Windows 10 might be my only option. If I find a solution I will post but I've spent a day on this already.

0 Kudos
EtHANBB
Contributor
Contributor

Won't help, I'm on fresh install ... I have a feeling we'll have to wait for update Smiley Sad

Edit: "Fresher" install helped

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried VMWare v12?

0 Kudos
Amadeus1791
Contributor
Contributor

Installing it now, but I can already tell you it won't work, getting the same not responding error from the vmware network install library executable.

0 Kudos
Amadeus1791
Contributor
Contributor

Version 12 does exactly the same as version 10, but it takes longer to do nothing. The behaviour and the not responding error are the same as v10.

Amadeus1791
Contributor
Contributor

So is the only solution buying v12 with its 30 days support from Vmware then harassing them until they come up with a fix? I'd rather not try a clean install of Windows as I have a lot of software on my laptop and it all works except Vmware workdstation. Unfortunately Vmware is very important for what I do. I've tried uninstalling AV, a different AV, switching all AV functions off but there just seems to be a fundamental problem with the network install library executable i.e. it doesn't work. Come on Vmware, sort it out.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Every time you install an Insiders update, Windows 10 breaks the Bridging causing a the user to Reset Defaults.

Why not try imaging your drive, fresh install with all the latest Microsoft updates and hardware updates, and then install VMWare to see if it works. There is no need to commit to a fresh install if there is a current image to be pushed back.

You could also try just updating all the laptops hardware to the latest versions?

I've used Smart Driver Updater in the past to grab hardware drivers for older hardware. Make sure you image prior.

0 Kudos
EtHANBB
Contributor
Contributor

So, I had enough yesterday and I clean installed Windows 10, again, installed drivers, and first thing after that was installing Workstation 12 Pro, everything works now, I have no idea where the issue was. Maybe some updates installed before VMware, I have no idea :smileyconfused: